Home > Forum > Marker Kingpin recall

Marker Kingpin recall

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
01 Aug 2018 09:23 #231921 by slacker
Marker Kingpin recall was created by slacker
Marker has recalled several 17/18 Kingpin models due to the possibility of toe pin failure.  I mean really what is a person supposed to do when remounting?
Inserts?  Move the binding?  Mount in the original position with 2 part epoxy?  What a pain. There is no experience like having to redrill or modify a new $800 ski.

www.tetongravity.com/story/ski/marker-is...-on-kingpin-bindings

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Aug 2018 11:09 #231925 by gregL
Replied by gregL on topic Re: Marker Kingpin recall
Use a Pozidrive #3 screwdriver to remove the screws. If you used epoxy to mount the toes, heat the screws with a soldering gun before removing. Use the same holes to mount the replacement toepiece. I would use a 2-part, slow drying water-resistant epoxy for the remount. Go skiing and be thankful you found out about this potential issue before you hurt yourself.

• slacker
  • [slacker]
More
22 Aug 2018 17:47 - 23 Aug 2018 12:12 #231932 by slacker
Replied by slacker on topic Re: Marker Kingpin recall

Go skiing and be thankful you found out about this potential issue before you hurt yourself.

That is an excellent recommendation! Fortunately for me I own a previous iteration of the kingpin so I'm not personally effected. The kingpin is not my personal fav. But, the shop and technician that mounted ions on my tour 1 wailers was more comfy with inserts in a remount situation. BTW my ions were recalled as well. I understand that product recalls are a part of the process of innovation but it's problematic.
Your tech knowledge will serve anyone whose ski tech gave some other advice. I particularly like the soldering iron trick. Thanks gregL.
I will go skiing ASAP.