Home > Trip Reports > July 20, 2018, Paradise

July 20, 2018, Paradise

7/20/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by silaswild on 7/21/18 12:57am
We walked in tennie runners to Sluskins Chair, then skinned up the Paradise River and glacier to 8400'. Skiing was soft corn, smoother on steeper slopes than flatter ones. Quite foggy below 6000' until 900. Then clearing. Very light breeze. Thankfully cooler than earlier this week.
An epic way to celebrate a milestone birthday. Glad I could make it!

Here's to many, many more.

Belated Happy Birthday!

author=silaswild link=topic=40865.msg162270#msg162270 date=1532188670]
We walked in tennie runners to Sluskins Chair, then skinned up the Paradise River and glacier to 8400'.

Just a safety / navigation reminder for those unfamiliar with the classic Paradise Glacier tour. Paradise Glacier does not drain to Paradise River, rather to Stevens Creek.  One crosses the obscure Puget-Columbia divide at the low saddle about a half-mile above the stone 'chair'. More than one befogged pilgrim has ended up at Box Canyon or even further east.

Thanks for the nice photos!

Considering the time of year, that looks like an awesome ski.  I skied the Frying Pan earlier this year but this looks like a good choice as well

Sigh.  I will have to plead ignorance again on the landmark Sluskins Chair (?)

author=Chamois link=topic=40865.msg162278#msg162278 date=1532362644]
Sigh. I will have to plead ignorance again on the landmark Sluskins Chair (?) 

I believe it's technically called the Stevens-Van Trump Memorial,  It's located at about 6000', a bit over a mile above the 4th Crossing trailhead, just above where the Mazama plateau actually briefly narrows to a ridge, and just east of Sluskin Falls.

A mortared stone bench with bronze plaques commemorates the (so-called) 1st ascent campsite in 1870 where Sluskin waited. This was probably the last bare ground and firewood near the Paradise Glacier, a small lobe of which topped the low P-C divide and was the source of Paradise River at that time.

Ha!  I do know that!  But I've never seen it thawed out.  Looks like you all had a good party up there.  Cheers.

Reply to this TR

july-20-2018-paradise
silaswild
2018-07-21 07:57:50