Home > Trip Reports > 07/13/2018, - MISSING BACKPACKER, observation rock

07/13/2018, - MISSING BACKPACKER, observation rock

7/13/18
Posted by NPS Ranger on 7/15/18 2:57am
Did you ski the Flett on 7/13?

Mount Rainier National Park would like to be contacted by anyone who may have encountered a solo male backpacker in the area of observation and echo rocks. He was last seen at 12:00pm on Friday, 7/13, ascending between echo and observation. He may have mistaken the climber trail for the Spray Park trail, which was his intended route.
He would likely have been carrying overnight gear, wearing blue jeans and a red short sleeve shirt or black rain shell. He has a full, trimmed beard and a tan sun hat.

If you have any information, please call Mt. Rainier Dispatch at 360-569-6600.

I sent a detailed reply to your PM.

We were in the area but did not observe this individual.

Good luck with the search... I hope he's found and in good health.

-S

Susan and I just returned from a Saturday overnight on the Russell. Did not see him. Long and extensive heli search this morning; must have been the full tank of avgas.

When checking in for our alpine-zone permit, we were informed that NPS was short-staffed due to a search in the park, but not that we were going to pass through the search area.

Good luck and good searching to the backpacker and everyone looking for him. The weather couldn't be more optimistic for a search; warm, light winds, clear skies.

If a detailed trip report and accounting of parties we did see would be useful, get in touch via PM or email ( This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ), and we'll write one up and get it to you.

Just called Rainier dispatch.  They say he's found.  Expect an update tomorrow.

Thanks everyone, he was found on Monday.

https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/7-16-18-spray-park-sar-update.htm

Reply to this TR

07-13-2018-missing-backpacker-observation-rock
NPS Ranger
2018-07-15 09:57:23