Home > Trip Reports > Olympic N.P., Point 6536

Olympic N.P., Point 6536

7/15/18
WA Olympics
Posted by telemack on 7/13/18 2:22pm
My wife and I took a stroll out the Grand Ridge Trail for some July turns.  Parking was full on a Friday morning, lots of backpackers. My remnant couloirs were just before the trail junction, about 1.5 miles in, visible from the road and facing NNE into Badger Valley. 
The snow was exquisite corn, barely the tiniest cups, very carveable, almost completely smooth.  I forgot my own preview on the first drop below the top, and endured a short carry through scree.  This was the longest run at 600' but zigzaggy.  Second run was shorter but even better.

Bluebird day, perfect temps in the subalpine.  OP Road is in good shape.  Many continuous lines are gone, but there is enough out there for August.
Awesome!  Have any pics worth posting?  I'm pretty curious about the Obstruction Peak area for summertime turns.  I see there is lots of snow left, from 101.
Thanks.

Hi Neilforreal, just saw this.  What you are looking at from route 101 is probably Elk Mountain, most visible from east of PA near the cinema, Deer Park road, and between PA and Sequim.  runcle and I were just out to Obstruction Point yesterday.  The Elk Mountain "chutes" now have only a couple hundred feet of continuous snow.  They are 1-2 miles hike from the end of the OP road. 
    There are similar patches closer to the OP road.  (See a soon-to-be-posted TR from August 1.)  We hit a small piece only a few hundred yards from the truck.  Also try the Lilian Ridge trail that goes south from the trailhead; that is where we went July 10. That little chute is below Point 6536.  there is often a bigger one south of there:  leave the grand Lake trail at an obvious climber's path and head south to Moose.  Runcle thinks the best snow now is the NW bowl of Moose.  Longer scramble to get there.
    I've never figured out the resizing of photos to put on this site, but if you PM me with a cell or email I can send you some of yesterday and July 10.
JFTHOI, here is a re-post of a wee poem I like that is on the topic:

Hear the song of the Turns-All-Year skier,
Who follows a sport some thnk queer.
Carving snow in all seasons
Gives many good reasons
To exercise, then drink strong beer!

Okay, thanks for the update! I'll have to go check it out once I get some time. Runcle messaged me and will send pics soon. It'll be nice to check it out. Thank you

Reply to this TR

olympic-n-p-point-6536
telemack
2018-07-13 21:22:31