• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
12 Jul 2018 21:07 - 13 Jul 2018 07:32 #231901 by Zap
Timberline buys Summit Ski Area was created by Zap
snowbrains.com/timberline-lodge-ski-area...t-ski-resort-in-usa/

Consider skiing Alpine and Glade  trail from Timberline to the Rest Area?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
16 Jul 2018 11:55 #231905 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Timberline buys Summit Ski Area
I like the terrain at Summit. I've also wanted to ride the chair there just because I want to ride all the lifts on hood. Maybe they'll let us ride the Summit chair with our TLine or Fusion Passes.

More
17 Jul 2018 10:18 #231906 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Timberline buys Summit Ski Area
That's an interesting move - being south-facing and at low elevation, Summit seems to have really struggled the last few years. I like skiing the alpine trail down from Timberline, but terrain at Summit itself is limited and pretty flat, it's sometimes hard to even keep gliding down their run without "poling the boat". I wonder if it has more to do with parking capacity or a right-of-way for the eventual construction of a gondola from Government Camp?

More
17 Jul 2018 13:30 #231907 by river59
Replied by river59 on topic Re: Timberline buys Summit Ski Area
Gondi, eh? That's an interesting idea. With the location of Summit (s facing, low elevation) being what it is, it doesn't seem like a spot that TL would want to spend $ on improvements.

I wonder how that would work? Maybe a land swap deal ala Meadow's Cooper Spur land for Govy land?

More
17 Jul 2018 15:27 - 17 Jul 2018 15:34 #231908 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Timberline buys Summit Ski Area
The idea of a gondola has been discussed for a while, so I think it could definitely happen. It sounds like the permitting and planning would likely take several years, but there actually was a bus rigged up as a pseudo-gondola that ran people up along that route during the 1950's (great video here:
). I would think the forest service would be pretty amenable to it since it could help reduce overall driving/parking issues.

More
17 Jul 2018 17:30 #231909 by Robie
Replied by Robie on topic Re: Timberline buys Summit Ski Area
Me thinks its mostly about developing Gov Camp. Gondola would be the key to any plan .Hasn't there been approval for MT bike trail lately ? Ive never been there in the summer but I hear its really busy with hikers and Tourists. For myself i'm not that interested but i'm living with a big supporter and should not be a spoiler. As long as I get my free legacy pass I'm ok.

Timberlines biggest fan
Attachments:

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
18 Jul 2018 09:31 #231910 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Timberline buys Summit Ski Area
Jeff restated his goal to put in a lift or gondola just a couple days ago. Who knows if we will ever see it though.

www.kgw.com/article/news/local/gondola-c...t-camp/283-574525771

Short term will be a shuttle lot and some more summer development. MTB park is already underway uphill so this makes sense. Lots of people are already taking the Mt. Hood Express with bikes and riding down so I'm sure TLine wants more of that action. They already own the Brewpub the gas station and hotel/condos so they are very invested in Govy year round.