Home > Trip Reports > July 7-8, 2018, Spider Meadow

July 7-8, 2018, Spider Meadow

7/7/18
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 7/8/18 6:57am
The road is open and the trail is logged out (someone did a lot of work!). I skied the south facing slope from the top of the East Peak of Chiwawa, which is the high point visible from the meadow. I skied at 6:30PM and the corn was perfect. I planned to make another lap in the morning, but the surface had frozen and was rock hard, and I didn't want to wait. From the top I could see into the Lyman Lakes basin which is well covered. Chiwawa's Lyman glacier looked in great condition and easy to get to right now. Popular place to be this weekend. Cars overflowed down the road probably a quarter mile.

East Peak of Chiwawa is in the upper left

Spider Glacier on the right (Spider Gap is the low spot on the horizon) and Chiwawa on the left.

Looking north into Lyman Lakes Basin

Looking South into Spider Meadow. Phelps ridge and Red Mtn on the right.

Evening corn

Frozen dew in the morning. Above the meadow, water on the trail was frozen too.

Nice,
How do you usually get on the Chiwawa snowfield?  Do you take the trail to the base of Spide glacier and then go from there or is there a more direct way from the valley (Spider meadows)?  Do you think there is more snow this year than normal?

.........with the yard wolf!!  Nice job.

author=ps44 link=topic=40844.msg162218#msg162218 date=1531256736]
Nice,
How do you usually get on the Chiwawa snowfield?  Do you take the trail to the base of Spide glacier and then go from there or is there a more direct way from the valley (Spider meadows)?  Do you think there is more snow this year than normal?

I took the trail to the base of the spider glacier (where I camped) and accessed the snow from there. I think this is the easiest way. Not sure if there is more snow than normal. I can never keep time straight in my mind. Skiing is good right now, I know that!

Reply to this TR

july-7-8-2018-spider-meadow
mikerolfs
2018-07-08 13:57:16