telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
07/22/18, 04:43 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2018 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July 2018 Backcountry Trip Report
| | |-+  July 6, 2018, Paradise
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Notify of replies | Print
Author Topic: July 6, 2018, Paradise  (Read 1261 times)
silaswild

July 6, 2018, Paradise
« on: 07/06/18, 03:30 PM »

We found soft corn 8400-5300' on S and E slopes. Skiable to the steps 20' from the Fourth Crossing trailhead below Paradise. Tomorrow might require some ski carrying or damaging meadows, as the snow is melting quickly.
« Last Edit: 07/09/18, 05:51 PM by silaswild » Logged
Robie

Re: July 6, 2018, Paradise
« Reply #1 on: 07/06/18, 04:17 PM »

Thanks ,Silas !

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
Robie

« Reply #2 on: 07/08/18, 07:36 PM »

Sunday ,minimum ski carry required .

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
thunderchief
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 07/09/18, 01:30 PM »

You guys clearly chose a more intelligent line than I did... the normal route from paradise inn on up was a bit of a carry.  Probably had to down carry a total of 1000 vert feet, intermittently below 7400 and completely below 6000.
Chamois

« Reply #4 on: 07/09/18, 03:15 PM »

I know, I didn't get that early memo -- but can someone illuminate me on the references to fourth crossing and third crossing?  thanks.
Robie

« Reply #5 on: 07/09/18, 07:39 PM »

Fourth crossing trail is downhill and to the east of Paradise inn. Drive or ski down (depending on season ) the paradise valley valley one way road, Fourth crossing trail head and small parking lot are just beyond the first hairpin. Major access to Mazama Ridge , back bowls ,Cowlitz rocks,Stevens ridge  and  Paradise glacier. For the long legged folks also Whitman Crest.
There is life beyond the Muir Snowfield

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgID05Ye6Cww

vogtski

« Reply #6 on: 07/09/18, 10:27 PM »

FWIW, Chamois, '3rd Crossing' (of the Paradise River by the original, now Paradise Valley, road) was miles below Paradise near the 1960's Reflection Lake /Stevens Canyon Road bridge, labeled "Ruby Falls" on Robie's link ( thanks, first I've ever heard of that name).

Scrolling up NE toward Cowlitz Rock on his (NPS?) labeled Hillmap, I noticed the ~8000' 'Big Crack' in Paradise Glacier was obvious.  The lower area also labeled "Paradise Glacier", site of the famous former Ice Caves, has been glacier free for decades. The current terminus is about 7400'.  Similarly, Williwackis Glacier is long-gone.  The two labels for "Stevens Glacier" were a surprise, since I'd never encountered that name before, either, on maps or in literature, and there has not been glacial ice there in my half-century here.

I think it might be a recently invented NPS name; the only result of a google was this Park page with an inaccurate photo caption.  There is essentially no glacial ice in the "Paradise-Stevens Glacier" photo, nor has there been for many years: 
https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/nature/mount-rainier-glaciers.htm

There was considerable glacial ice in this valley as late as the twenties, however.  The right skyline in this old postcard is Cowlitz Rock:
https://www.amazon.com/National-Coasting-Paradise-Washington-Vintage/dp/B00P6RRRQ2

The glacial striations at Cowlitz Saddle show that the Cowlitz Glacier overflowed south through this gap down Stevens Ck. for much of the most recent glaciation!
« Last Edit: 07/09/18, 10:33 PM by vogtski » Logged

I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Chamois

« Reply #7 on: 07/10/18, 09:16 AM »

Thanks for the patient replies - honestly, been skiing up there for 30 years, maybe I've missed something, but only the last few years have I seen this reference. 

Been up and down that way many, many times - guess I just need to read a trail sign now and then.  Cheers.
kamtron

« Reply #8 on: 07/10/18, 11:16 AM »

There is life beyond the Muir Snowfield

Shhhh
CliffedDoubt
1Member

« Reply #9 on: 07/10/18, 04:32 PM »

There is reference to a "Stevens Glacier" below Cowlitz Rocks in a book called "A Year in Paradise"... Floyd Schmoe frequently guided "climbing tours" for a tame taste of glacial mountaineering, even in the 20's it was a glorified snowfield.

The book is an autobiographical account and ecological take on the observations of a green-horn midwestern forestry student and his concert pianist wife who took over the role of inn-keeper for the winter, and climbing guide in the summer of 1923. It's a fascinating read that I cannot recommend enough to anyone who frequents Mother Tahoma.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Notify of replies | Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.