Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2018, MRNP, Russell Glacier

July 1, 2018, MRNP, Russell Glacier

7/1/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by iluka on 7/1/18 1:20pm
With the Mowich Lake Road finally open, I decided to make the annual pilgrimage down to the Russell Glacier. After looking at the weather forecast before bed last night, I had my doubts as to whether it was worth going down but when I woke up early this AM, the Rainier web cams showed clear skies above Sunrise so I decided to give it a shot. It was well worth the effort... a stellar day.

The road to Mowich Lake is in very good shape right now with only a small number of bad potholes. I arrived to blue skies above the lake but things soon clouded in again. The trail to Spray Park is snow free until just before the foot bridge over the creek as you enter the lower part of the park. It's not worth putting on the skis until the climbers trail takes off the Wonderland Trail around 5800-5900 ft. Things were still pretty socked in at this point but the sun was poking through and it seemed that if you got high enough, it would be possible to break out of the clouds. The snow is nearly continuous from the trail turn off to the Flett Glacier with a few, very short carries. The only carry beyond the Flett was the short drop down you have to do when you pop out in the basin below both Echo and Observeration Rocks. As hoped for, as I crossed above about 7,200 ft, I popped above the clouds and stayed above them until the trip out.

The Russell Glacier is in stellar shape. Smooth surface. Some cracks opening here and there from 9,000 down to 7,500 but all are small and easily crossed. I did not ski the headwall but it looks to be in good shape. Starting at the plateau at 9,500 ft, the first 500-600 ft or so was pretty firm but edgeable as the winds kept things from turning to corn up high. If its warm and wind free, this will likely ski great. From 8,800 down to 6,700 was fun, fast, smooth snow with none of the usual grabbiness once you get below 7,500 due to the cool temps from the winds. Things were so good it was worth a second lap.

After staying above the clouds the entire time on the Russell Glacier, visibility went back to nothing on the ski out as I came by Observation Rock to traverse out onto the Flett and head back to the trail. I bypassed the headwall but heard from some others it was quite firm today in the wind and cold temperatures. The Flett was not nearly as smooth as the Russell as sun cups are forming and things were a bit runnelled in spots. Still skied pretty well overall but no where near as good as the Russell.

Overall, the area is in great shape right now. Who do I thank for those web cams for making it worth going out today?
Thank you for the report - the snow looks nice! I suppose the approach through Knapsack Pass is melted out?

I usually approach Spray Park via the Wonderland Trail so didn't get a look at the climb to Knapsack Pass. Both times I came through Spray Park on the trail the clouds were hanging low and I didn't get a good look at the south side of the pass, unfortunately.

Looks really great! How does the distance compare for the Spray Park approach vs. Knapsack Pass?

author=Mr_Burns link=topic=40836.msg162179#msg162179 date=1530633978]
How does the distance compare for the Spray Park approach vs. Knapsack Pass?

I think the distance is similar.  The Spray Park approach is via a nice trail that first goes a bit down and then up.  Knapsack Pass is off-trail, up and down, and one needs a good snow coverage.  Not sure that is the case in recent years (the coverage).

Reply to this TR

july-1-2018-mrnp-russell-glacier
iluka
2018-07-01 20:20:42