Home > Forum > Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?

Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?

• danopdx
  • [danopdx]
More
29 Jun 2018 16:27 - 29 Jun 2018 16:30 #231888 by danopdx
Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild? was created by danopdx
Hella long-shot I know, but on the off-chance...

Anyone figured-out a reasonable way to rebuild the pivot axle on BD O1 tele bindings? 

I have a newish pair that failed - the flanged end of the axle tube sheared-off.  I also have several older pairs that are getting a bit sloppy and would benefit from a rebuild. 

Guessing it would involve using a drill or ? to remove the axle tubes, custom fabricating new tubes, etc.     

Too bad BD didn't design the bindings to be rebuilt...  :-(    I know, they're no longer the "it" binding, and BD is no longer making them, but they've been serving me well, aside from the above issues. Haven't broken any of them outright, unlike some other folks - one advantage to being a smaller dude, I suppose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
02 Jul 2018 00:06 #231889 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?
I've mounted BD01's before a few times for other skiers, but never rebuilt one. I've skied them. They're worth fixing IMO. I always liked that they had the rubbery shroud on the binding base. I always thought that made their design less prone to icing up on days when that's a problem.

If it's a riveted pivot pin, you may be able to replace the rivet with something on this page linked below. You drill out the rivet and replace it with something I've commonly heard referred to as a "sex bolt".

www.mcmaster.com/#rivets/=1dj8xoc

https://images1.mcmaster.com/mvA/contents/gfx/large/99637a258p2-b01l.png?ver=1374158527

• danopdx
  • [danopdx]
More
02 Jul 2018 05:18 #231890 by danopdx
Replied by danopdx on topic Re: Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?
Thanks! I'll give those a look.

• tele.skier
  • [tele.skier]
More
02 Jul 2018 08:22 - 02 Jul 2018 08:27 #231891 by tele.skier
Replied by tele.skier on topic Re: Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?
If you can find the right diameter barrel, then you can micro adjust the barrel LG by either buying a second pair of female parts, and hacksawing the head off the barrel and threading it onto the Male threads before you assemble the new axle on the binding, OR you can buy a longer length barrel and cut it down.... This way you get a continuous barrel across the length of your new axle  if the binding needs a continuous barrel to work in place of the rivet.... 

there's also shouldered screws for binding barrels too, so there's a good chance if you can find a diameter barrel that works for the axle, then the length should be easily adjusted.

• danopdx
  • [danopdx]
More
02 Jul 2018 09:27 #231892 by danopdx
Replied by danopdx on topic Re: Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?
Yeah, both ends need to be female.

Off the top of my head, variables will include: finding a tube with both the correct outside diameter and correct inside threads for the tube's end caps (i.e., the cable anchors); drilling out the old tube without trashing the binding; and whether the tube needs to be flared at the ends after install. On this last question, I need to take a second look at the bindings, including a side that wasn't busted. If the stock tubes were flared, I probably can't replicate that.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
02 Jul 2018 11:06 #231893 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Black Diamond O1 Bindings Rebuild?
Have you called BD? Sometimes you can get through to a person in their shop (or R&D) who takes a special interest in solving your problem--which, after all, has probably come up before. Worth a try.

Mark