Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2017, Daniel

June 17, 2017, Daniel

6/17/18
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 6/18/18 5:11am
This is a fantastic time to ski on Mt. Daniel. The road is open and the trail is melted out to the trail split. I skinned from the trail split below Squaw Lake (and skied back to this point) with just two carries. (pretty long carries). Rain on new snow made Sunday a rough day physically. Uphill was challenging. The snow was so saturated that after lifting a pole off the snow, the depression looked like slush. The skiing was fantastic fast mush, but all steep sections sloughed. I skied at 10:30 and felt like I was 3 hours too late. Several other parties on the mountain. A group of four skiers, a solo skier (doing a day trip to Hinman!), and two snowboarders.

Super coverage right now.

Bathrooms are both boarded shut. What up, USFS?
Snow looks great; thanks for the report!
What is the snow coverage/availability of snow free camping patches around Peggys pond?

author=ps44 link=topic=40816.msg162115#msg162115 date=1529511828]
What is the snow coverage/availability of snow free camping patches around Peggys pond?

The lake is still frozen and the surrounding area is still snow covered, but I bet you could find a flat spot under a tree that would be dry.

A friend of mine was over last night and this TR came up in conversation. He claimed there was no "Squaw Lake" and doubted your report of continuous snow from it. I pulled my Green Trails maps out, unfolded the Stevens Pass one and pointed right at it. i suggested he ditch whatever maps (or app) he was using and go buy a physical one that's a little more accurate ;D

Boulder Creek bridge is weakened by undercutting and has a reduced load limit. The toilet pumping truck cannot make it across to pump out the full toilets at the TH due to the weight of the truck.  Hence the locked toilets.

author=John Morrow link=topic=40816.msg162119#msg162119 date=1529585079]
Boulder Creek bridge is weakened by undercutting and has a reduced load limit. The toilet pumping truck cannot make it across to pump out the full toilets at the TH due to the weight of the truck. Hence the locked toilets.

I rescind my criticism. :)

author=pipedream link=topic=40816.msg162117#msg162117 date=1529528426]
He claimed there was no "Squaw Lake" and doubted your report of continuous snow from it.

LOL The snow isn't quite continuous, but I skied it all the way to the trail split. A couple hikers caught me while I was transitioning to sneakers. They complimented my "dedication" on skiing to that point :)

We went in yesterday and came out today. I can say definitively that it would take more dedication than most, and rockier rock skis than most, to get to Squaw lake at the moment. Especially in the "pretty long carry" around the bottom of Cathedral Rock. Recommend switching back to your tennis shoes for that.

Still, great skiing was had! The corn was delightful, as well as the camping vibes and ambience. Thanks for the inspiration.

P.S. Mike, is that first shot of yours taken with a zoom from Peggy's Pond?

author=kamtron link=topic=40816.msg162131#msg162131 date=1529904883]
P.S. Mike, is that first shot of yours taken with a zoom from Peggy's Pond?

Glad you went! I took that photo from the trail around Cathedral, prior to Peggy's Pond.

A little pano of the Hyas basin

Reply to this TR

june-17-2017-daniel
mikerolfs
2018-06-18 12:11:06