Home > Trip Reports > June 17, 2018, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir corn

June 17, 2018, Mt. Rainier, Camp Muir corn

6/17/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 6/17/18 11:37am
Quick conditions update, photos perhaps to follow.

Conditions are ~2-3 weeks ahead of what I expect in a "good" year.

On the up, the rangers have approximately roped off the pan-point ascent, redirecting everyone to the summer trail. It might be a week or so early, but any direct ascent will involve shenanigans. Atop Pan Point, just head for Pebble Creek on the summer line; it looks like the minimum number of carries.

Snowfield in early afternoon was smooth and slow, Chute a little later was sluffy but fun. Mind your sluff, and those above and below you.

The NE wind was stout in the morning, and persisted all day, creating a small thunderstorm on the lee (West!) side of the mountain, with two thunderclaps and hail that reached the snowfield.

Fun day out; we are so blessed to be here.
We were over @ Fryingpan glacier/Summerland. Clouds kept the heat at bay; a little rain on the way out @ 430 or so. Getting a little sketchy crossing the creek.  Snow proper begins ~ 1/3 mile after the bridge.  The snow actually stayed pretty decent on the N facing steeper slopes.

I skinned up through Golden Gate from the Paradise lot with no carries. No crowds in my favorite zones. Good snow albeit sticky (might've been my wax) higher up where there was more recent snow. Smooth corn! I got chased away by a rain/hail squall at the end of my day.

Looking forward to the Valley road opening up.

Reporting in from near top of van trump where goats outnumbered folks, thought those first thunderclaps went off right above me. Fun turns tho a bit grabby, almost went over the handlebars once or twice.

And I'll report a bear on the Fryingpan. I surprised it once as I climbed over a rock on my way to the summit of Whitman Crest, and then after it had wandered off here and there for a while, it started to move toward my location again, so I called out to remind it I was still there. This worked, but unfortunately, the new direction it chose down the glacier was directly toward the next party of two ascending skiers, out of sight over a roll. Comically, I had a perspective on the whole thing, as they came in view of each other and paused for a few moments of reflection. The bear finally took action, and galumphed off quickly toward the Ohanopecosh.

Does make you wonder what they are looking for up there. Maybe just getting away from the heat.

While on the Interglacier it appeared there was some fresh snow that had recently been heat treated. Smooth and easy skiing. Not many other skiers. Clouds moved in mid-afternoon and got our butts moving. Good strong hailstorm caught us on the way back to the lot. If it had kept up a bit longer we could have put the skis back on and skied down the trail.

author=kamtron link=topic=40812.msg162099#msg162099 date=1529339033]
Looking forward to the Valley road opening up.

The Paradise Valley Road opened ahead of schedule this morning:  https://twitter.com/MountRainierNPS/status/1008855099072892934

author=myikat link=topic=40812.msg162108#msg162108 date=1529372718]
Does make you wonder what they are looking for up there. Maybe just getting away from the heat.

The temps were actually quite comfortable lower down and there was a cold breeze on the glacier. So it's a good question what was the bear after. Must be their propensity to explore widely to find a source of food; there were goat tracks above Summerland as the only other wildlife (I arrived too late to see this).

author=frankfrank link=topic=40812.msg162106#msg162106 date=1529354640]
And I'll report a bear on the Fryingpan. I surprised it once as I climbed over a rock on my way to the summit of Whitman Crest, and then after it had wandered off here and there for a while, it started to move toward my location again, so I called out to remind it I was still there. This worked, but unfortunately, the new direction it chose down the glacier was directly toward the next party of two ascending skiers, out of sight over a roll. Comically, I had a perspective on the whole thing, as they came in view of each other and paused for a few moments of reflection. The bear finally took action, and galumphed off quickly toward the Ohanopecosh.

That's so cool.

For my part, I saw a bumblebee buzzing through the air, some snow insects, many glacier worms, and a goat. The goat was running around in the cornice-fall zones above the Paradise valley, as they are wont to do. It appeared to be running for shelter from the rain as I did the same, working a sprint herringbone down valley.

Cool bear Frank! I think he was just looking to play.

In answer to the PMs, snow started above the comet falls and continuous a bit before tree line, but not much before.

Reply to this TR

june-17-2018-mt-rainier-camp-muir-corn
Charlie Hagedorn
2018-06-17 18:37:36