Home > Trip Reports > June 13, 2018, Yakima Peak

June 13, 2018, Yakima Peak

6/13/18
Posted by telemack on 6/14/18 8:16am
The weather was very different at Chinook yesterday---fog, some drizzle, afternoon rain---but the wait for the landslide rebuild was the same as Silas said: 15 minutes on the way up, and the full 1/2 hour coming back since I was the first vehicle after the pilot truck left. Having read the WSDOT report carefully, I brought a good novel ;D
The snow skied pretty well, but was a bit sluffy on top from rain on top of the recent fresh. My lower ski was breaking out of the skin tracks at times. I met a pair of skiers climbing out of the basin N of Yakima Peak, then did a steep traverse and left my skis near the bottom of the N side couloir. Booting the couloir was fine with an axe, but is quite steep, slushy, and narrow. The summit was bare, windy, and socked in, though there were some "grey-breaks" later.
I skied the basin, climbed back out, and the rain started during my final transition. 129 months o' TAY. Still plenty of snow for more June fun.
I "enjoyed" reading your TR. There will be a day when you carry your camera/smartphone to share with us what things looked like. ;)

Thanks for the trip report! May do the same thing tomorrow, but the forecast is calling for rain/showers/clear/calm/windy/thunderstorms or ???? I guess that is a bunch of words to say "unsettled".

author=Mr_Burns link=topic=40809.msg162090#msg162090 date=1529101270]
Thanks for the trip report! May do the same thing tomorrow, but the forecast is calling for rain/showers/clear/calm/windy/thunderstorms or ???? I guess that is a bunch of words to say "unsettled".

I'd say go for it, could be balmy with nice sun breaks.  Maybe you're already on the way up!

No change yesterday, except the road closure looks like its on a less annoying ~15 minute light cycle for the weekend.  Waited 0 and 8 minutes.  Fun skiing from the car!  Glad the clouds kept the temps down in the early afternoon.

Reply to this TR

june-13-2018-yakima-peak
telemack
2018-06-14 15:16:44