Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2018, Colchuck sweet corn

June 12, 2018, Colchuck sweet corn

6/12/18
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 6/13/18 10:44am
Colchuck is always a fickle place, it takes more than a little luck to hit it perfect, but Mike and I thought this was the best trip so far. Out of the parking lot at about seven, a leisurely pace saw us at the col at one. Much colder than anticipated, good thing we did not get too casual in the gear department. Skinned about half way, and finished off with crampons, would have normally gone for micro spikes, but glad to have the real deal. Off the col about two, and it was so good, smooth perfect corn to the moraine, skied the steepest pitches and they were great. Boot cups below the moraine, that were not as nice but still ok, could not quite dip our skies in the lake but within thirty feet. A party of climbers on rout with us, and a boarder, and a skier before us. Great turns, if you go, twoish seems like a good time to shoot for.

Mexican sushi

This goat bluffed some hiker/climbers from their progress up the moraine.

Thanks for luring me away from my desk (again). Best corn I've skied at Colchuck for sure! Here are my favorites:

Oh my goodness, Mike, that last picture of Jamie is that moment that stays with us all year (or maybe all life) long.  Skiing down steep smooth slopes like we will ski out onto the brilliant blue water.  Like so many perfect places in the memory bank.  Thanks for that, fellas.
And I would give that goat plenty of space too, btw.

Reply to this TR

june-12-2018-colchuck-sweet-corn
jtack
2018-06-13 17:44:21