Home > Forum > Snowboarder question - can a 185lb dude ride a 120

Snowboarder question - can a 185lb dude ride a 120

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
11 Jun 2018 10:47 #231875 by Jake the Brit
..I'm gettign tangled in the trees approaching & schwackin'
What about a 120cm superwide, 260mm waist? Obviously heavily setback stance so it's directional.
For spring only, so no need to float.

Anyone know any thing about this kind of thing? I've ridden a 150 steep/ deep & it was fine as long as I stayed steep, I'm 185lbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MW88888888
  • [MW88888888]
More
13 Jun 2018 10:35 #231877 by MW88888888
My brother mounted a skateboard deck onto a kids board and rides it around with reckless abandon. I see no reason why a shorty wouldn't work - he rides it just like a skateboard. With bindings I'd imagine you would need a pretty aggressive stance to keep from heel and toe'ing out on the steeps, but light is good for the approach. I've often thought of the super short spring board, go for it. I'll see if I can find a pic of his outfit.

More
13 Jun 2018 11:05 #231878 by RonL
Are there examples of a super wide 120ish board? The slush slasher looked interesting but it was a bit bigger. I just went down to a 160 and it's been an adjustment for me.... I'm not getting lighter. Let us know if you find something that works.

• discostew
  • [discostew]
More
14 Jun 2018 00:36 #231879 by discostew
i'm not aware of any boards that are that short and wide. i suggest trying this thing: www.evo.com/snowboards/k2-cool-bean-snowboard. 138 cm with a 275mm waist. never ridden one but everyone i know that has loves it. can definitely support a bigger dude. i have the party platter, which is the not quite as short and fat version, and it's my favourite deck

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Jun 2018 01:59 #231880 by Randito
If only for spring/summer why superwide? 

Two planters sometimes use "firn skis"  which are 80mm wide an 1 meter long.  Easy to pack and are fun on firm snow and even groomed snow at resorts during the winter.

A shorter length "carving board" meant for hard boot snowboard slalom racing would be an interesting experiment for this use.

• Jake the Brit
  • [Jake the Brit]
More
14 Jun 2018 14:27 #231882 by Jake the Brit
Replied by Jake the Brit on topic Re: Snowboarder question - can a 185lb dude ride a 120

If only for spring/summer why superwide? 

....cos I've got bigish (11) feet and I ride duck...which is what kids do, but it seemed like a good idea at the time, and now I'm stuck-in-duck, ha ha.
Also my main deck is 260 waist & it means you can ride skiboots if you have to without getting into diffculties on steep ice, which is another thing kids do & I should really stop........and act my age. No way!
Thanks all for the usefuyl input fellas, I'm going to find someone who wants to press a FrankenPlatter!

More
15 Jun 2018 10:00 #231883 by dbkiker
Short fat is definitely the hot shape right now.

www.lib-tech.com/snowboards/short-fat/
www.capitasnowboarding.com/snowboards/sp...-break-slush-slasher
www.ridesnowboards.com/en/mens/warpig-1718.html

120 seems pretty short though. I imagine it being squirrelly past the point of being useful.

I suppose you could always cut your own shape though if you wanted.

www.lib-tech.com/snowboards/blank/