Home > Trip Reports > June 5, 2018, Chinook Pass-Lonely

June 5, 2018, Chinook Pass-Lonely

6/5/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Zap on 6/6/18 11:40am

With an upcoming trip, I wanted to do some last skiing and felt that I could ski Chinook Pass without the masses.  Having the approach from the White River entrance closed, it looked like a "no masses day". I took the camper and spent the night in Yakima.  The drive up to the Pass on Tuesday was great because I could see the surrounding area without some vehicle trying to pass me on the 90 minute drive. The only vehicles I saw were 2 CA and ID cars driving east.  Plus 4 motorcycles – I was hoping one was Robie – but nope.

I drove past the Mt. Rainier overlook and I was looking for access to the west-side of Naches Peak. There were no cuts off the road onto the snow. The way up the snow "cliff" was deeper than I wanted to climb up/down. I stopped at the restroom on the west side and saw a place to get off the road and climb onto the snow and skin a short way to the basin on the west side of Naches. The temperature was cool which made the skinning enjoyable. I started on the eastern side of Chinook Pass because the snow was 2 feet from the camper and flat and headed west. I am addicted to the early morning east side and headed west. It was a bit firmer and I could ski near the trees trail. Then I skied to the west part of Naches Peak. Yes, it was " lonely" and I only saw a couple of tracks from the weekend.  There is good coverage. No mush today but it was cooler. Yes, sun cups are forming in various areas, but it's not a problem, yet.  I did not have a pollen problem, but it could have been because of the wax applied – SWIX F4 Premium Liquid Fluor.

I have provided a few photos of the terrain from the eastern and western side. Most Chinook Pass followers can see the coverage.  My only photo comment is on Zap's Peak. Yes, it is really 6567' and is above Dewey Lake.  It has good coverage, and I named it years ago when someone asked 'where'd you ski?..
One of my goals is to ski Zap's peak. Sounds like I still have time this year....

Naches Peak

Yakima Peak

Zaps Peak or 6567'

Naches Westside

Naches Eastside

author=Micah link=topic=40794.msg162023#msg162023 date=1528339660]
One of my goals is to ski Zap's peak. Sounds like I still have time this year....

With the current weather forecast, there will be fresh snow when the road opens on Tuesday. ;)

Good report that will get  people fired up !

Funny i'm heading that way today on the motobike, cept ive heard that FR70 and Pyramid pass/Naches trail  ,FR19 is passable to Whistlin Jacks

Updates on mosquitos much appreciated!!!😋

Surprising amount of snow up there still! Thanks for sharing!

Naches Peak west side with a larger view.

Yakima Peak south side. At the base of the photo is a vehicle on the road. It is our campervan parked next to the snow bank.  ;)

Thanks for the photos showing snow conditions!

Reply to this TR

june-5-2018-chinook-pass-lonely
Zap
2018-06-06 18:40:33