Home > Trip Reports > June 2, 2018, Paradise glacier

June 2, 2018, Paradise glacier

6/2/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Robie on 6/3/18 2:56am
This is a pollen free report.
Booted and skinned up alongside the crowds to Little Africa 8600'
Upper half was like a dream making us believe we were expert skiers. Slop happened right at the pitch break crevasse 8000' which has not unzipped as yet. Skied out  south thru valley with some cornices still hanging . Skinned up the right a bit towards Golden gate entrance to Edith basin. A very nice ski down in fact much better  set up than lower Paradise Glacier.
A short shush to the paradise inn to drink a beer with the tourists on the outside deck.
Yesterday, I was sitting on a deck on Stretch Island and there was a great view of the Paradise area. It was Jill's brother's  75th birthday party. I pulled out a pair of binocular and said to my grandson  “I see another older guy skiing along the Paradise Glacier”. Of course, he believed me. Your TR also validates my sighting yesterday. ;)

Nice!
Can you drive to/park at the 4th crossing parking lot?
Thanks

Sorry,  I meant to add 4th crossing not open and the road going south in the valley is not open.
I heard from Andy Carey they are still doing helicopter operations out of that lot.

author=Robie link=topic=40776.msg161954#msg161954 date=1528048564] Slop happened right at the pitch break crevasse 8000'

Thanks for the TR. I followed your tracks down to the slop then skinned back to join the masses above Pan Point. Glad it got better for you down lower. The snowfield always has been crowded on a sunny Saturday in June but I've never seen so many skiers as part of the mix. There were moguls on pan face, true story.

author=PhilH link=topic=40776.msg161986#msg161986 date=1528153268]
The snowfield always has been crowded on a sunny Saturday in June but I've never seen so many skiers as part of the mix. There were moguls on pan face, true story.
Yeah, I also made a mental note of the high percentage of skiers this year. I recall some years back talking to Eric at Marmot. He said that they'd been selling LOTS  of backcountry gear but that  we sure hadn't yet been seeing those  folks out in the backcountry on it - that  most  of  them seemed  to  be sticking to the resorts as of that  moment. Well they're starting to get out beyond the lift areas!!

We apparently avoided those moguls by skiing the line from up near where they had the ropes set up to funnel folks down  directly to  the saddle between Edit Creek basin and the cattle drive. It was a fun line despite  somewhat  grabby sluffy mush.

Reply to this TR

june-2-2018-paradise-glacier
Robie
2018-06-03 09:56:04