telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/21/18, 05:01 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  May 24, 2018 Timberline
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: May 24, 2018 Timberline  (Read 1149 times)
Zap

May 24, 2018 Timberline
« on: 05/24/18, 04:33 PM »

We spent the evening in the Timberline parking lot and had a nice quiet night. The day started with  sunny slopes, but you could see some clouds near Government Camp. They are only running Magic Mile and Palmer quads.  The lift started at 8am and we had our butts on the chair first thing. Magic Mile was already spring snow and we were laying first tracks, but it was very slow on both the groomers and the non-groomers. Hmmm!. We rode the Mile again and then rode the Palmer lift. Yahooo!

It was heaven. The groomers were perfect and it was just plain old fun.  The upper part of Palmer usually has a mid point to get on the lift. I spoke to one of the managers and learned that they will “redo” the Palmer and open the midpoint so you can ride only the upper part of the run if you want. It takes 3 days and they will start the process on May 28 closing the Palmer down at that point. They have groomed terrain to skiers's right from the midlift area all the way down to the start of Palmer. We skied this lower area with only 4 other skiers, and we were cutting new tracks each run. At 10am they opened the “Terrain Park” – we were there a bit early and had it to ourselves. The Park is from the bottom of the Silcox Lodge to the base of Magic Mile. You  can ski down to the parking lot near the Main Lodge.

The clouds were covering the upper mountain; and it was sunny below Illumination with a BIG lenticular formation above. The lifts closed at 2:30pm. A bit later the clouds moved away and the whole mountain was visible. Great day.

After the lift closed the snowboarders (and a few skiers!) returned to their cars and RELAXED – spread out in the sun with their dogs and beers and buddies. Many of them had skateboards which they were riding and jumping all over the parking lot. It was fun to watch their youthful energy.
Zap

Re: May 24, 2018 Timberline
« Reply #1 on: 05/24/18, 04:38 PM »

Some of the area.

1-Lenticular

2-Terrain Park

3-View from campervan

* Timberline_Lenticular.jpg (132.95 KB, 800x450 - viewed 355 times.)

* Timberline_Terrain_Park.jpg (75.15 KB, 450x800 - viewed 340 times.)

* Timberline_from_Campevanr.jpg (125.53 KB, 800x450 - viewed 345 times.)
avajane

« Reply #2 on: 05/24/18, 11:07 PM »

Glad you had nice conditions! Did you grind some rails in the park???😎

Brian Izdepski, Facebook TAY
OregonDead

« Reply #3 on: 05/29/18, 09:32 AM »

Awesome day and another great TR Zap.  You got a picture of my car!  Best spot I got in the last 5 days of my Fusion pass.  Had to park out in the climbers lot Friday-Sunday.
Thursday I tried to skin up high with the plan of skiing down to Illumination saddle.  I knew I would need to be fast since the cloud was moving down.  Turns out I was not fast enough.  By the time I transitioned the cloud completely obscured my view of the saddle and I ended up skiing down the way I came. 
Took a shot of Illumination rock before the cloud covered it up.   

* Illumination524.jpg (50.22 KB, 800x600 - viewed 277 times.)
Zap

« Reply #4 on: 05/29/18, 04:02 PM »

Awesome day and another great TR Zap.  You got a picture of my car!  Best spot I got in the last 5 days of my Fusion pass.  Had to park out in the climbers lot Friday-Sunday.
Thursday I tried to skin up high with the plan of skiing down to Illumination saddle.  I knew I would need to be fast since the cloud was moving down.  Turns out I was not fast enough.  By the time I transitioned the cloud completely obscured my view of the saddle and I ended up skiing down the way I came. 
Took a shot of Illumination rock before the cloud covered it up.   

Illumination Rock is a great place to watch the "younger folks"with their jumps. Plus the terrain softens and is great place to get away from the lift folks. Wink

Which vehicle is yours?
OregonDead

« Reply #5 on: 05/30/18, 03:15 PM »

My car is the red forester.
Here's another picture of the cloud on Thursday. 

* cloud524.jpg (157.59 KB, 600x800 - viewed 208 times.)
Zap

« Reply #6 on: 05/30/18, 03:53 PM »

Great cloud formation.

Red is a color that Jill and I  walk towards in parking lots back home.  Also, we had a woman unlock  our doors with Jill inside. Her red Outback was 2 cars from us. Wink
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.