May 24, 2018 Timberline

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 May 2018 16:33 #231840 by Zap
May 24, 2018 Timberline was created by Zap

We spent the evening in the Timberline parking lot and had a nice quiet night. The day started with sunny slopes, but you could see some clouds near Government Camp. They are only running Magic Mile and Palmer quads. The lift started at 8am and we had our butts on the chair first thing. Magic Mile was already spring snow and we were laying first tracks, but it was very slow on both the groomers and the non-groomers. Hmmm!. We rode the Mile again and then rode the Palmer lift. Yahooo!

It was heaven. The groomers were perfect and it was just plain old fun. The upper part of Palmer usually has a mid point to get on the lift. I spoke to one of the managers and learned that they will "redo" the Palmer and open the midpoint so you can ride only the upper part of the run if you want. It takes 3 days and they will start the process on May 28 closing the Palmer down at that point. They have groomed terrain to skiers's right from the midlift area all the way down to the start of Palmer. We skied this lower area with only 4 other skiers, and we were cutting new tracks each run. At 10am they opened the "Terrain Park" - we were there a bit early and had it to ourselves. The Park is from the bottom of the Silcox Lodge to the base of Magic Mile. You can ski down to the parking lot near the Main Lodge.

The clouds were covering the upper mountain; and it was sunny below Illumination with a BIG lenticular formation above. The lifts closed at 2:30pm. A bit later the clouds moved away and the whole mountain was visible. Great day.

After the lift closed the snowboarders (and a few skiers!) returned to their cars and RELAXED - spread out in the sun with their dogs and beers and buddies. Many of them had skateboards which they were riding and jumping all over the parking lot. It was fun to watch their youthful energy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 May 2018 16:38 #231841 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: May 24, 2018 Timberline
Some of the area.

1-Lenticular

2-Terrain Park

3-View from campervan
Attachments:

• avajane
  • [avajane]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
24 May 2018 23:07 #231843 by avajane
Replied by avajane on topic Re: May 24, 2018 Timberline
Glad you had nice conditions! Did you grind some rails in the park???😎

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
29 May 2018 09:32 #231849 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: May 24, 2018 Timberline
Awesome day and another great TR Zap. You got a picture of my car! Best spot I got in the last 5 days of my Fusion pass. Had to park out in the climbers lot Friday-Sunday.
Thursday I tried to skin up high with the plan of skiing down to Illumination saddle. I knew I would need to be fast since the cloud was moving down. Turns out I was not fast enough. By the time I transitioned the cloud completely obscured my view of the saddle and I ended up skiing down the way I came.
Took a shot of Illumination rock before the cloud covered it up.
Attachments:

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
29 May 2018 16:02 #231853 by Zap

Awesome day and another great TR Zap.  You got a picture of my car!  Best spot I got in the last 5 days of my Fusion pass.  Had to park out in the climbers lot Friday-Sunday.
Thursday I tried to skin up high with the plan of skiing down to Illumination saddle.  I knew I would need to be fast since the cloud was moving down.  Turns out I was not fast enough.  By the time I transitioned the cloud completely obscured my view of the saddle and I ended up skiing down the way I came. 
Took a shot of Illumination rock before the cloud covered it up.   

Illumination Rock is a great place to watch the "younger folks"with their jumps. Plus the terrain softens and is great place to get away from the lift folks. ;)

Which vehicle is yours?

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
30 May 2018 15:15 #231854 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: May 24, 2018 Timberline
My car is the red forester.
Here's another picture of the cloud on Thursday.
Attachments:

• Zap
  • [Zap]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
30 May 2018 15:53 #231856 by Zap
Great cloud formation.

Red is a color that Jill and I  walk towards in parking lots back home.  Also, we had a woman unlock  our doors with Jill inside. Her red Outback was 2 cars from us. ;)