Home > Forum > Sun Screen

Sun Screen

• Edgesport
  • [Edgesport]
More
20 May 2018 18:25 #231821 by Edgesport
Sun Screen was created by Edgesport
What do people use for Sun Screen?  I've tried many but the results are always bad.  Recently tried a sunblock stick but it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight and I'm gonna loose a few layers of skin off my face in the next week.  I can sweat quite a lot from my head so most screens get washed away with the moisture. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
20 May 2018 18:43 #231822 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: Sun Screen
Bullfrog brand sport formulations, mainly because I don't mind the way they smell, so I tend to use them more often. One application for normal days, maybe reapplied if I'm out sunrise to sunset--and I sweat copiously.

Plus a ball cap with bandana keffiyeh, and any reasonably-flavored lip stuff.

• ShailCaesar!
  • [ShailCaesar!]
More
22 May 2018 10:53 #231831 by ShailCaesar!
Replied by ShailCaesar! on topic Re: Sun Screen
Just cover up with lightweight, light colored breathable clothing is the easiest thing to do. Hat, glasses, lightweight buff and long sleeves. Some spf 30 and lip balm to augment the facial areas. Way easier than trying to constantly rub expensive chemicals and then sweat that into your eyes!

• Markeyz
  • [Markeyz]
More
22 May 2018 11:06 #231832 by Markeyz
Replied by Markeyz on topic Re: Sun Screen
I've been happy with the performance of the coppertone sport spf 50 or its generic rite aid equivalent. I've used it skiing and surfing and finds that for me it handles sweat / water the best, i.e. not washing off or running into the eyes. Avoid banana boat at all costs.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
22 May 2018 14:31 #231833 by Randito
Replied by Randito on topic Re: Sun Screen
Nuetragena SPF 70 or SPF 100+ on the face, nose,ears and neck.

Plus a hat with brim and a bandana knotted along one one side and worn as a neck drape. Nose guard when traveling above timberline.

Long sleeve shirt and long pants made from high SPF highly breathable fabric.

More
22 May 2018 17:09 - 22 May 2018 17:14 #231834 by DG
Replied by DG on topic Re: Sun Screen

Just cover up with lightweight, light colored breathable clothing is the easiest thing to do. Hat, glasses, lightweight buff and long sleeves. Some spf 30 and lip balm to augment the facial areas. Way easier than trying to constantly rub expensive chemicals and then sweat that into your eyes!

I'm in this camp - lightweight, light-colored clothing is much nicer than runny chemicals on the skin. I like to wear a thin polyester hoody and a ball cap for spring skiing under the sun, with just a little sunscreen for the nose/face. If the weather becomes cold or windy, then it is easy to throw a down or shell on top.

• mccallboater
  • [mccallboater]
More
23 May 2018 09:10 #231835 by mccallboater
Replied by mccallboater on topic Re: Sun Screen
Look for "reef safe" on the label. Those are more expensive, but the same chemicals that kill coral don't do your own skin any favors either. The Burn Out brand is what we used in Hawaii a few weeks ago, and it was great. SPF 30 was plenty, and it worked all day. There are others.

• Norseman
  • [Norseman]
More
24 May 2018 08:40 #231837 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Re: Sun Screen
Aloe Gator full spectrum gel is the burliest sunscreen I've yet found. Feels horrible but lasts all day easily through heavy sweating, wiping, water. Great for the super UV blast of spring/summer glacier travel. Surely some heathier options out there but this shit keeps the rays at bay in the 1000+ W/m^2 alpine toaster.

• Chuck C
  • [Chuck Cerveny]
More
24 May 2018 11:28 #231838 by Chuck C
Replied by Chuck C on topic Re: Sun Screen
Sol products, especially the Altitude style. But the lightweight clothes suggestion works for me too

• bwalt822
  • [bwalt822]
More
24 May 2018 12:04 #231839 by bwalt822
Replied by bwalt822 on topic Re: Sun Screen
Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport SPF 70 is my go to.  Not greasy at all and I rarely get burned with it. I'll never buy banana boat again though. 3 days on the beach, no problems with Neutrogena including a full day with zero shade. Ran out of it and bought banana boat. The wife and I were completely fried the next day.

However this is one of the better purchases I've ever made for warm ski days:
www.campsaver.com/marmot-windridge-long-...nIv3fehoCk2sQAvD_BwE

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
24 May 2018 20:12 #231842 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Sun Screen
Arcteryx Phasic Sun hoody.
Athletic cut.... hood is fantastic especially with a cap on...sits on visor and doesn't impede vision.
Hood up with buff keeps sun at bay.

Still use suncreeen but firmly in the cover up camp now.

• Norseman
  • [Norseman]
More
25 May 2018 08:08 #231844 by Norseman
Replied by Norseman on topic Re: Sun Screen

Arcteryx Phasic Sun hoody.
Athletic cut.... hood is fantastic especially with a cap on...sits on visor and doesn't impede vision.
Hood up with buff keeps sun at bay.

Still use suncreeen but firmly in the cover up camp now.

Yeah, it's nice to see so many good options nowadays for hooded sun wear. Just delving into the genre now... I expect to see an OR Echo hoody in the mail today!

• ridngoofy
  • [ridngoofy]
More
26 May 2018 11:01 #231846 by ridngoofy
Replied by ridngoofy on topic Re: Sun Screen
www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Sun...s=atheros+sun+screen

for face and neck. Everything else is covered.

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 May 2018 10:21 #231850 by Jim Oker
Replied by Jim Oker on topic Re: Sun Screen
I'm a sweathog and burn easily. Coppertone Sport has worked quite well for me. Perhaps those ingredients will eventually kill me but with multiple skin cancers in my past I'm more concerned about preventing the known problems rather than the theoretical ones.

Though I did use the cover up tactic in the grand canyon recently, in very hot weather, with sunscreen just on my face and backs of hands and it worked well. But it was a raft trip and I wasn't exerting heavily. Sun hoodie with brimmed cap worked pretty well.

More
29 May 2018 11:05 #231851 by Stefan
Replied by Stefan on topic Re: Sun Screen
Coppertone spf 30. Get the one that smell like coconut. That smell is nice!

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
29 May 2018 12:08 #231852 by OregonDead
Replied by OregonDead on topic Re: Sun Screen
Neutrogena, coppertone sport, and bull frog are all good. Gotta stay covered up and reapply though because it gets very intense in the alpine. More intense the closer the date is to the summer solstice. Also watch for those little trouble spots like the wrists inside of the nose brow line etc. I always wear a buff on my head now to protect my neck and brow line. Last weekend I wore my goggles on the skin up and then put on my helmet over my goggles so I wouldn't have to take anything off when I transitioned.

More
30 May 2018 21:45 #231857 by melchap
Replied by melchap on topic Re: Sun Screen
I avoid all chemical (oxybenzone, etc) based sunscreens and use only non nano zinc oxide. Better for my skin/body and the planet. ;D

But most importantly I use clothing to protect and if my tour is shorter I'll do it really early or late in the day. I always wear pants, long sleeves, gloves, hat and face cover no matter how hot.

Currently for sunscreen I use Thinkbaby 50+. It protects super well but must be reapplied often. VERY OFTEN...every 45 mins. I am ok with the constant reapplication. I keep the tube accessible so I can apply and keep moving.

I spent last Sunday at the beach in full sun with my redhead son. He spent 7 hours in the sun with the Thinkbaby sunscreen. Reapplied 3 times. He did not get burned. 8)

More
31 May 2018 14:21 #231858 by jtack
Replied by jtack on topic Re: Sun Screen
I use Bulfrog, for ears, nose neck, and zinc for under nose and lips. If I think of it, I like to apply the Bulfrog first thing, (per the instructions) and it really seems to last better, and it gives me a chance to wash the nasty stuff off my hands! I think it's bad stuff, but I'm a Lilly white boy, who has spent way too much time outside unprotected. Like to cover up with clothing as much as I can, but can't handle a buff.