telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
06/18/18, 06:30 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Second Ascent
Second Ascent
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Random Tracks: posts that don't fit elsewhere
| | |-+  Sun Screen
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sun Screen  (Read 1107 times)
Edgesport

Sun Screen
« on: 05/20/18, 06:25 PM »

What do people use for Sun Screen?  I've tried many but the results are always bad.  Recently tried a sunblock stick but it was like bringing a knife to a gun fight and I'm gonna loose a few layers of skin off my face in the next week.  I can sweat quite a lot from my head so most screens get washed away with the moisture. 

ѧѦ ѧ ︵͡︵ ̢ ̱ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵ Ѧѧ ︵͡ ︵ ѧ Ѧ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ ѦѦ ѧ ѧѦ ѧ ︵͡&
markharf

Re: Sun Screen
« Reply #1 on: 05/20/18, 06:43 PM »

Bullfrog brand sport formulations, mainly because I don't mind the way they smell, so I tend to use them more often. One application for normal days, maybe reapplied if I'm out sunrise to sunset--and I sweat copiously.

Plus a ball cap with bandana keffiyeh, and any reasonably-flavored lip stuff.
ShailCaesar!
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 05/22/18, 10:53 AM »

Just cover up with lightweight, light colored breathable clothing is the easiest thing to do. Hat, glasses, lightweight buff and long sleeves. Some spf 30 and lip balm to augment the facial areas. Way easier than trying to constantly rub expensive chemicals and then sweat that into your eyes!
Markeyz
5Member

« Reply #3 on: 05/22/18, 11:06 AM »

I've been happy with the performance of the coppertone sport spf 50 or its generic rite aid equivalent.  I've used it skiing and surfing and finds that for me it handles sweat / water the best, i.e. not washing off or running into the eyes.  Avoid banana boat at all costs.

Proud owner of a five year taay streak (turns almost all year)
Randy

« Reply #4 on: 05/22/18, 02:31 PM »

Nuetragena SPF 70 or SPF 100+ on the face, nose,ears and neck.

Plus a hat with brim and a bandana knotted along one one side and worn as a neck drape.  Nose guard when traveling above timberline.

Long sleeve shirt and long pants made from high SPF highly breathable fabric.
DG

« Reply #5 on: 05/22/18, 05:09 PM »

Just cover up with lightweight, light colored breathable clothing is the easiest thing to do. Hat, glasses, lightweight buff and long sleeves. Some spf 30 and lip balm to augment the facial areas. Way easier than trying to constantly rub expensive chemicals and then sweat that into your eyes!

I'm in this camp - lightweight, light-colored clothing is much nicer than runny chemicals on the skin. I like to wear a thin polyester hoody and a ball cap for spring skiing under the sun, with just a little sunscreen for the nose/face. If the weather becomes cold or windy, then it is easy to throw a down or shell on top.
« Last Edit: 05/22/18, 05:14 PM by DG » Logged
mccallboater
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 05/23/18, 09:10 AM »

Look for "reef safe" on the label. Those are more expensive, but the same chemicals that kill coral don't do your own skin any favors either. The Burn Out brand is what we used in Hawaii a few weeks ago, and it was great. SPF 30 was plenty, and it worked all day. There are others.

Specialization is for insects.  - Robert Heinlein
Norseman

« Reply #7 on: 05/24/18, 08:40 AM »

Aloe Gator full spectrum gel is the burliest sunscreen I've yet found. Feels horrible but lasts all day easily through heavy sweating, wiping, water. Great for the super UV blast of spring/summer glacier travel. Surely some heathier options out there but this shit keeps the rays at bay in the 1000+ W/m^2 alpine toaster.
Chuck C

« Reply #8 on: 05/24/18, 11:28 AM »

Sol products, especially the Altitude style. But the lightweight clothes suggestion works for me too
bwalt822
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 05/24/18, 12:04 PM »

Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport SPF 70 is my go to.  Not greasy at all and I rarely get burned with it.  I'll never buy banana boat again though.  3 days on the beach, no problems with Neutrogena including a full day with zero shade.  Ran out of it and bought banana boat.  The wife and I were completely fried the next day.

However this is one of the better purchases I've ever made for warm ski days:
https://www.campsaver.com/marmot-windridge-long-sleeve-mens.html?_iv_code=MRT-AT3-MAR0680-135246&gclid=CjwKCAjwxZnYBRAVEiwANMTRX4dccHxpqjqiWkon6RWoW8g0XJz11i6MeWU3O9m2PVPI7d6nIv3fehoCk2sQAvD_BwE
Scotsman

« Reply #10 on: 05/24/18, 08:12 PM »

Arcteryx Phasic Sun hoody.
Athletic cut.... hood is fantastic especially with a cap on...sits on visor and doesn't impede vision.
Hood up with buff keeps sun at bay.

Still use suncreeen but firmly in the cover up camp now.

Chief Etiquette Officer of TAY and TAY's #1 Poster
Poet Laureate of TAY.
Chairman and Founder of FOTAY( Friends of TAY)
Moderator of the moderators.
"Most Brilliant Move" of the 11/12 ski season
" Knows what he is talking about"
Expert Typist.
Crystal Whore
" Scotsman may be correct"....Mikerolfs
Norseman

« Reply #11 on: 05/25/18, 08:08 AM »

Arcteryx Phasic Sun hoody.
Athletic cut.... hood is fantastic especially with a cap on...sits on visor and doesn't impede vision.
Hood up with buff keeps sun at bay.

Still use suncreeen but firmly in the cover up camp now.

Yeah, it's nice to see so many good options nowadays for hooded sun wear. Just delving into the genre now... I expect to see an OR Echo hoody in the mail today!
ridngoofy
5Member

« Reply #12 on: 05/26/18, 11:01 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Sunscreen-Melt-Antioxidants/dp/B002CML1VG/ref=sr_1_sc_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1527357515&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=atheros+sun+screen

for face and neck.  Everything else is covered. 
Jim Oker

« Reply #13 on: 05/29/18, 10:21 AM »

I'm a sweathog and burn easily. Coppertone Sport has worked quite well for me. Perhaps those ingredients will eventually kill me but with multiple skin cancers in my past I'm more concerned about preventing the known problems rather than the theoretical ones.

Though I did use the cover up tactic in the grand canyon recently, in very hot weather, with sunscreen just on my face and backs of hands and it worked well. But it was a raft trip and I wasn't exerting heavily. Sun hoodie with brimmed cap worked pretty well.
Stefan

« Reply #14 on: 05/29/18, 11:05 AM »

Coppertone spf 30.  Get the one that smell like coconut.  That smell is nice!
OregonDead

« Reply #15 on: 05/29/18, 12:08 PM »

Neutrogena, coppertone sport, and bull frog are all good.  Gotta stay covered up and reapply though because it gets very intense in the alpine. More intense the closer the date is to the summer solstice.  Also watch for those little trouble spots like the wrists inside of the nose brow line etc.  I always wear a buff on my head now to protect my neck and brow line.  Last weekend I wore my goggles on the skin up and then put on my helmet over my goggles so I wouldn't have to take anything off when I transitioned. 
melchap
5Member

« Reply #16 on: 05/30/18, 09:45 PM »

I avoid all chemical (oxybenzone, etc) based sunscreens and use only non nano zinc oxide. Better for my skin/body and the planet. Grin

But most importantly I use clothing to protect and if my tour is shorter I'll do it really early or late in the day. I always wear pants, long sleeves, gloves, hat and face cover no matter how hot.

Currently for sunscreen I use Thinkbaby 50+. It protects super well but must be reapplied often. VERY OFTEN...every 45 mins. I am ok with the constant reapplication. I keep the tube accessible so I can apply and keep moving.

I spent last Sunday at the beach in full sun with my redhead son. He spent 7 hours in the sun with the Thinkbaby sunscreen. Reapplied 3 times. He did not get burned.  Cool
jtack

« Reply #17 on: 05/31/18, 02:21 PM »

I use Bulfrog, for ears, nose neck, and zinc for under nose and lips. If I think of it, I like to apply the Bulfrog first thing, (per the instructions) and it really seems to last better, and it gives me a chance to wash the nasty stuff off my hands! I think it’s bad stuff, but I’m a Lilly white boy, who has spent way too much time outside unprotected.  Like to cover up with clothing as much as I can, but can’t handle a buff.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.