Home > Trip Reports > April 16-May15, 2018, Mission Ridge -over and over

April 16-May15, 2018, Mission Ridge -over and over

4/16/18
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by mikerolfs on 5/16/18 1:22pm
I took a month off work thinking I would go into the mountains, but somehow the good skiing 4 miles from my house won my attention, and instead of traveling, I skied Mission a bunch of times. In fact I only skied two days anywhere else.

I took from April 16 (the first day Mission was closed) to May 15, the day after my birthday.

The skiing went from winter powder, to corn, to mush, and then to grass and rock skiing across growing patches. The last run before going back to work was more a gimmick than real skiing, with dry skids across hundred yard patches. Sometimes the conditions were consistent for a few days, sometimes there was a sudden change followed by slow deterioration. At the end, the snow-pack changed drastically from day to day. I developed an analogy between watching the dying snow-pack, and the decline of a friend at the end of his life. Being there every day, I felt an intimacy with the snow, and I grieved each of the last 10 days for the decline in skiing conditions.

Most days I just made one run. Several two-fers. One day we made the equivalent nearly 5 runs for a 10k day. In all, I skied 82,205 vertical feet (15-1/2 miles!), skiing 27 of 30 days. All except two were at Mission Ridge.

I'm surprised not to be disappointed in myself for not going on more interesting trips.

After this month, I just want another. Mission is done. Now it's time to venture into the mountains! Maybe next year, if I can swing this month off again, I'll adjust later by a couple of weeks.

Funny role reversal between my ski partner Jtack and I. He is retired and has more time to ski than me. Normal dynamic is for my wife to remind me not to try to keep up with Jamie... "He's retired! You can't keep trying to do everything he does!". Well, for one month, I had more time to ski than Jamie. He was a good sport about keeping me company. Probably a relief for me to go back to work!

Here is an abbreviated deterioration pictoral:

The beginning: April 16.

April 19

April 24

April 26

April 28

May 10

May 12

May 14

May 15

May 15

The end

That is a great picture of the two of you but unfortunately the canine, four footed, smiling fellow outshines the both of you.  Just kidding but I think pictures of dogs smashing down through the pow with their huge smiles are inspiring.  It is amazing to watch a dog in the snow.  They love it as much or even more than their two footed masters.  Great photos.  Any more of your dog pal would be welcome.

What a blast.  Inspirational to get 27 days.  I find I go back to my favorite local hill over and over, it's not that rad but even when there is only a 100 yard ski, just being there makes me feel good.  Mission must be near and dear to your heart.

I think my favorite pic is the skinning up grass...dedication - a long way from white it appears!

Mission Ridge is your backyard. Going up to Mission is going home. What could be better?

So fun seeing the progression.  Nothing like home but 'tis time to venture little farther!

SKI THE PATCHES!

Reply to this TR

april-16-may15-2018-mission-ridge-over-and-over
mikerolfs
2018-05-16 20:22:52