Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2018, Lynch Peak

May 12, 2018, Lynch Peak

5/12/18
Posted by Peels on 5/13/18 9:27am
Inspired by Lowell Skoog's 2015 trip report, David and I skied Lynch Peak near Mt. Daniel on Saturday. Due to a late night Friday, we had a later than desired departure from Shoreline Saturday morning despite the fact that we had to be back early Sunday so that David could leave for a work trip. We also got Gloria the Ford Ranger super stuck on Cle Elum River Road and would have spent the day digging out if not for our amazing rescuers who happened to come along and pull us out (they had only made it a half mile further).

As it was, we left Gloria around 11:20 AM, 6.8 miles from the end of the road. It was a relatively easy skin but tensions were high because we were so tired, frustrated from getting stuck, and overwhelmed by the journey ahead. Our other saving grace was a pack of awesome snow machiners who gave us rides for maybe a mile! Though short, they were so fun and the mental boosts we needed!

We approached via Hyas Lake. The crux of our trip was undoubtedly our skins which were in terrible shape to begin with. Despite two to three straps per ski plus tape, the skins were nearly useless (It turns out hair ties and headlamp straps don't help). Once we started climbing after leaving the Hyas Lake area, we switched to booting and our pace increased dramatically. We summited in the alpenglow around 8:45 PM. In looking at the map more closely now, I don't actually think we were on the true summit but rather a little south on the ridge. But we are counting it!

We booted the first part down from our high point before transitioning to skiing. I'm sure most people would have skied it. From the valley, we gingerly skinned out to the trailhead and then started the road march. We were back at the car at 4:45 AM and managed naps before we had to head home so David could catch his flight.

All in all, an amazing trip! I'd had my eye on it for a long time, thanks to Lowell, and it was well worth the high price of entry.
Way to get it together...thanks for the report!! 😉

Thanks Rlsg! :-)

That second photo tells a story with your skin drooped away from the ski. Nice work. Sounds like you worked hard for many an hour! 6.8 miles is a pretty steep entry fee!

Hahaha, thanks! And yes, I think some re-gluing is definitely in order!

Reply to this TR

may-12-2018-lynch-peak
Peels
2018-05-13 16:27:32