Home > Trip Reports > May 12, 2018, Klahanie Ridge, Airplane Yardsale

May 12, 2018, Klahanie Ridge, Airplane Yardsale

5/12/18
Posted by osean on 5/12/18 2:13pm
An intended overnight at Klahanie Ridge turned into a day trip upon seeing that the snowpack started around 5000'. The walk and skin up was dominated by slipping and popping out of my speed turns while in walk mode (anyone else with this problem?). Beautiful view at the top of the strait, Kulshan, and a Cessena 172 submerged in the snow. Seems as though some pilot got a little bit too sendy. I was impressed that the plane was mostly intact, and the pilot survived. Hopefully they brought their skis in the plane.

Holy smokes! Did you meet the pilot? Crazy!

That's one lucky pilot!  S/he needs to take a lesson from this guy:  https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/the-wild-survival-story-about-air-force-pilot-who-got-his-plane-stuck-atop-mount-rainier-in-stunt/

Whoa! Don't see that every day.

Only time I have had trouble with my speed turns is when the pins or receivers on my boots aren't cleared of snow/ice or I don't pull the lever all the way up into locking position. Usually if there is going to be a problem it is obvious because it is more difficult to move the levers to lock position.

author=mikerolfs link=topic=40675.msg161595#msg161595 date=1526271869]
Holy smokes! Did you meet the pilot? Crazy!

The pilot is still unnamed,  possibly until the NTSB releases a report.  I was learning to fly out of Sequim last summer, and remember this plane ("... Quebec Quebec") on the radio. The plane belongs to a local flight school, which is not the greatest PR.

Reminds me of the plane that went down in the 70s above Yosemite.  Guess there was less valuable cargo aboard this one...hhmmmm?

Reply to this TR

may-12-2018-klahanie-ridge-airplane-yardsale
osean
2018-05-12 21:13:29