Home > Trip Reports > April 17, 2018, Cascadians at the PDG

April 17, 2018, Cascadians at the PDG

4/17/18
Posted by cascadekid on 5/10/18 8:26am
Aaron Ostrovsky, Seth Davis, and I traveled to Switzerland this year to represent the PNW, Skimo.Co, and as it turns out, the USA at the Patrouille des Glaciers in race in Switzerland.

For the uninitiated, the PDG is put on by the Swiss Military and races from Zermatt to Verbier along the Haute Route, covering 37 miles and 14k'.

We finished as the only intact team from North America in 12 hrs and 10 minutes.

Race report is here: http://mountainlessons.com/racing-2/pdg2018

I highly encourage any skimo athletes who are considering it to take the plunge. There is NOTHING in the US or Canada that comes anywhere close to a European Grand Course race for organization, duration, setting, or culture, ....including the Grand Traverse.

I'm happy to answer questions for anyone who is planning to make the dive-- just drop them in the comments on the blog to be sure I see them.

Bravo! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the report! Congratulations to the team!

I declined Seth's invitation to join the PDG team this year because I fear I've gotten too old for such a big effort. Gotta know your limitations. It sounded tough. But I enjoyed it vicariously!

Awesome -- thank you for the long writeup!

Amazing work, but I'm not surprised about this coming from Seth. You guys did it proud.

Late April of 2017 I skied the Haute Route. Your pictures show an amazing amount of snow in places that last year were dry. Is there a division for over 60 year olds?

I'll double down on what Patrick.  The Euros take their mountain events seriously.  The PDG celebrates their spectacular mountains, culture, history, and enthusiasm with pomp and circumstance.  So grateful I could be a part of this year's event.

Great write up Patrick!!  Thanks for posting.

Yes there is an over 60 division.  Those Euros are crazy fast too!

author=mccallboater link=topic=40668.msg161580#msg161580 date=1526221760]
Late April of 2017 I skied the Haute Route. Your pictures show an amazing amount of snow in places that last year were dry.

I was also on the Haute route last April: http://mountainlessons.com/skiing/haute-route-part-2-verbier-arolla

Last year was decidedly low tide, and thankfully, this year was much fatter. There was no grass walking for us, though there were still big wet slide debris piles along lac de dix.

Is there a division for over 60 year olds?

Definitely. You get sorted into Senior I, Senior II etc based on the combined age of the team. You would not be alone in completing it in your sixth decade.

Reply to this TR

april-17-2018-cascadians-at-the-pdg
cascadekid
2018-05-10 15:26:13