Home > Forum > late May ski-mtneering in BC or Icefields Parkway?

late May ski-mtneering in BC or Icefields Parkway?

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
07 May 2018 09:19 - 07 May 2018 21:06 #161477 by Pete A
Got a week of vacation coming up at the end of the month...no particular destinations figured out yet - just trying to come up with a long list of options depending on weather.

The skiing in Canada I've done has largely been limited to late winter/early spring touring around Whistler/Duffey/Rogers Pass, so I'm completely in the dark on potential destinations in late May. I've got a few guidebooks for BC and AB, but its a little tough to interpret whether any tours stand out as good late-season destinations.

Does anyone know if there are still reasonable tours that could be done off the Icefields Parkway (Columbia Icefields area)? 

Are there any particular destinations around the Pemberton icefield that have decent access by then? ...I know this area is a mecca for sled-accessed skiing...but i don't have a sled

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.  thanks.

Last edit: 07 May 2018 21:06 by Pete A.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 May 2018 11:01 #161480 by Gary Vogt
This forum doesn't seem too active, but may offer ideas:  backcountryskiingcanada.com/forum/bcs/ca...ry/icefields-parkway
Mt. Hector is a classic, probably the most accessible big peak along the Parkway, tho the lower terrain in the CDN Rockies tends to be mostly melted out by April/May

Jasper NP Twitter says the Columbia Icefields Info Centre opened this week.  I've found the Parks Canada folks very helpful through the years.

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
07 May 2018 20:54 #161486 by Pete A
Thanks for the info!

• Gary Vogt
  • [vogtski]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
07 May 2018 23:04 #161488 by Gary Vogt
My pleasure!  FWIW, looks like guided ski-mountaineering is done for the Parkway this year:
yamnuska.com/ski-mountaineering/wapta-traverse/
summitmountainguides.com/ski-touring/p/mount_columbia/
www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/ac.../skirandonee-skitour
Might need to go farther north by late May, judging by this fun TR from last year:
www.explor8ion.com/ski/berg-lake.html