Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 2018, backed away from Ptarmigan Traverse

May 3, 2018, backed away from Ptarmigan Traverse

5/3/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by mikerolfs on 5/5/18 12:56pm
Jtack, Dan Peck, Dan's friend, Justin, and I intended to ski the Ptarmigan Traverse Thurs-Saturday but changed our minds at Cascade Pass. The snow was mush, sliding easily away below our skis, sometimes cleaning the entire slope below. There was regular activity overhead from Cascade and Johanasburg Peaks. Mixup wasn't really active yet, but there were cornices there that looked threatening, and it was only getting warmer. None of us liked the looks of the traverse to Cache Col. We considered waiting for the snow to firm up, but realized we didn't have enough days if we restricted travel to only early and late in the day. So we pulled the plug and turned around. There was one party a day ahead of us. I saw on instagram that they made it, but reported not great conditions. There was also a party just behind us that continued on. I hope they made it through. Would love to hear what we missed. Risk was greater than our desire this time.

Debris extended to the trail head.
https://i.imgur.com/E91DXzB.jpg" />

All aspects in this valley shed. Here we are walking on debris from the north facing slopes, which ran into the debris from both the west and south facing slopes! Notice the crown in the upper left of the photo.

Negotiating a crown. This crown was continuous with the one in the previous photo.

Bed surface. Might be the best skiing available in this mush season.

We did get a few clean turns. It looks pretty, but it was difficult skiing, MUSH.

It was a beautiful day in the mountains and not wasted time, but certainly not good skiing and also pretty risky travel. We packed up and headed to Baker where we had heard there was "perfect corn" the day before. We did not find that corn. We found mush and at one point rain falling sideways. I think we timed this whole weekend tour just wrong. An unexpected trip highlight was pizza and beer at North Fork Brewing :)
Glad to hear we weren't  the only ones who had to cancel plans this weekend. We attempted to start the Spearhead on May 3 and again on May 4, but patrol wouldn't allow access at Blackcomb due to avy danger. The frustrating thing is that we had friends who just got off the Spearhead on May 2 and reported great conditions.

As a backup plan, we were going to drive up Duffy Lakes road to ski into Keith's Hut and explore that region. We stopped into a gear shop to buy the Baldwin map of the area and the shop owner informed us that an avalanche had blocked the road that very morning. This was in an area of highway that is actively controlled all winter.

We too heard of “perfect corn” up at Baker, from a NZ group who just skied it on May 2. They were also trying to ski the Spearhead the same day as us and couldn't believe that conditions had changed so dramatically overnight.

Mush season is frustrating. The snow is there, the weather seems stable enough, but an isothermal snowpack isn't much fun or safe.

At least you guys got some skiing in and saw the conditions first hand. We just took our skis for a drive up to Whistler and back.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier to your FB Message. Might have saved you the trip. Obviously if the ski patrol and the Hiway department can't control  things, the backcountry is better left alone for a while.

Hi Mike,

We made it out this morning.  It was definately not ideal but with good timing (early travel) and route selection variations we finished the traverse.  The snow set up every night except the first night after Kool Aid Lake.  I would post a pic or two but my phone made an unplanned plunge into Downey Creek this morning. 

author=Gregg_C link=topic=40645.msg161471#msg161471 date=1525665784]
Hi Mike,

We made it out this morning. It was definately not ideal but with good timing (early travel) and route selection variations we finished the traverse. The snow set up every night except the first night after Kool Aid Lake. I would post a pic or two but my phone made an unplanned plunge into Downey Creek this morning.

Awesome glad you made it! Bummer about your phone. OUCH!

thanks for the info. all, sounds like a well-considered call; and, glad to see you guys found a way through Gregg.

here's some oversharing re preferred route from Cascade Pass: in my opinion, the traverse out Mixup arm often feels unnecessarily hazardous--exposed to dangers above and below. it's less stressful and perhaps even easier overall to drop down into Pelton basin and then climb straight up towards Cache Col. this route is not without some exposure, but seems much less than the higher traverse which is exposed for a longer time--and there's no side-hilling. fodder for thought anyway.

Fun times for sure Mike and Jamie!  We'll get it next time. Heddonaut. We thought of descending to Pelton and heading up the S glacier then over to Hurry Up. Alas. The promise of corn on baker lured us. Still I enjoyed all our adventures. Justin got to enjoy the spectacle on Rainier on our third day. While our trip didn't go as planned I was proud and happy to travel with partners willing to come back for another day.

Reply to this TR

may-3-2018-backed-away-from-ptarmigan-traverse
mikerolfs
2018-05-05 19:56:08