Home > Trip Reports > May 3, 2018, Mt. Pilchuck

May 3, 2018, Mt. Pilchuck

5/3/18
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by frank on 5/5/18 9:29am
Hiked in from Heather Lk TH, gated; skinned last 2 or so miles to Pilchuck TH. The winter up-route from the TH is in good shape still but it's going fast..

Was on top of the se gulley around 10am, a foot of pole pen, and I don't think it would have made a big difference if I had been there at 5am. Little to no freeze.

I made one ski cut towards the right side, found it tricky to lift the leg and let snow drain; was solo so.. bailed and skied the wnw ridge a ways and dropped onto the N slopes, then NW down the open rolling terrain to the TH- fun turns in the sun all the way to the TH. The glop is getting faster at least..

When I got back to the pilchuck TH I looked up and noticed a really large crown, about 6+' is my best guess.. on the N slopes @ 5000', underneath the lookout and east of where I skied on the north slope. It spanned a huge portion of the slope. Likely the result of recent cornice-fall. Deep instabilites still exist in the region, and this is also noted on the latest nwac north-central bulletin.

Ran into one other skier while walking the road back to Heather Lk th, he was cruising down on his MT bike (bring this!) and slowed to chat briefly.. Never saw him up there but I guess he watched me ski from the ridge. Nice bumpin into you whoever you are.

Photos: (rolly ridge photo is Larrison Ridge)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/9RQNU6PwqZuf9gpW6

edit: added a horrible photo of crown taken from TH
Great report and pics! Thanks so much. What a beautiful day.

Reply to this TR

may-3-2018-mt-pilchuck
frank
2018-05-05 16:29:16