Home > Trip Reports > Glacier peak

Glacier peak

4/15/18
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by undermyownpower on 5/3/18 6:03am
With a mountain weather forecast of near perfect weather and temps we decided to hit up Glacier peak April 30 May 1,2. Weather forecast could not have been more wrong! We drove through Darrington and parked at the trail head in a light drizzle at 0630. Knowing the weather should clear we soldiered on. The trail was an annoying mix of dry and snow covered isothermic snow. We put our skis on 1 mile before the "Mac" shelter and then got suckered into a snow field that looked more promising than it was. We bushwhacked back to  the switchback trial and alternated between skis and post-holing until 4300 ft where we hit good skinning in the trees. Up to this point the face is not skiable, and I don't care about my bases getting "injured". There were old ski tracks that did make it through  but Im sure they were done with mildly improved coverage, Before the rain perhaps.
Anyway still raining, we got up to 5000 ft and got our first glimpse of the surrounding bowl. I say glimpse because we were socked in by clouds, it was still raining and my ski pole basket penetration was 12 inches. Recent avy debris was seen above us, below the clouds. I am a skier not a mountaineer and a summit at all cost is not my ethic. We turned around. The trees skied ok . the switchbacks were boot packed as the snow coverage on the trail was at most 2 feet wide and then dry on the downhill side.
we stopped and ate ate at the "MAC" then put our skis on for a mile or so then hiked out. Got back to our car late and drove home.
This was my first time to attempt Glacier. I think next year I will try a bit sooner for better coverage.
Hope this helps for your gear selection during the upcoming Holiday pilgrimage to the promised land.

Reply to this TR

glacier-peak
undermyownpower
2018-05-03 13:03:47