Home > Trip Reports > April 29, 2018, Wenatchee Mt. 10 Grand

April 29, 2018, Wenatchee Mt. 10 Grand

4/29/18
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by jtack on 5/1/18 1:47am
Horrible skiing every where we went on Saturday, unreasonable weather, and avalanche conditions, where we wanted to go Sunday and Monday, prompted us to make poor choices. As we were skiing back to the car on one of the runs at Mission, and the only reasonable skiing we had all day, someone said "lets try for ten grand tomorrow" and so we did.

Kind of a silly goal really, and just clomping up a ski run all day is a not that great for varied views, but it did give us the ability to keep a steady pace, and enjoy the company of friends, with easy support.

A bit of a late start did not spare us from the second worst run of the day, bullet proof conditions, we resolved to keep a leisurely pace, stop for water and food, and enjoy the day. Our runs varied from 1500 to 1200, we averaged about 48 min for the up. We took several longer breaks, stopped to visit with friends that were skiing, and generally took it easy.

My wife, and my good dog Joe came up for a lap with us, Joe like me is getting a little old, and out of shape he is super excited for the amble up but not so happy for the ski down so we work out a deal.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/2lzB9bseG1NA1m2CARABD7Hv6LcHX7ILneL2u2Tz7p0Y_I7FC9ZeRdyeYYAWu2hWIodlDFsQZOR4yrxQVEt22qGJgYuIHt-GWSdleGa7kvaucfTsHxDT7PNKjySYqrSsf3QSfFdZswynDnddmhHA1o5r5xlVoYBAgCSUOa2OQFVaIUyGCU9cu_ph9UWkTBL9-vOXuICj6trm1mnU5PIbcgblqo-3MhyCfAIgwxpah5YdETm4p30iS880GQ5gWFw2tomsN-j9fGurUaYyTE-23f3OHzqEJz91lAd7tMP7YN7xClbZNRVQhXwGZhGi9eullMf9mNga42M-muj1A5JThbs59LBtgESG0PKiJssgR-iHdfMFFUDPWVAwcVwgrgC_MwDAvwsZISplrGRPO2lHT6qEpVchLfpkoGTL8qOG-CsWMSGgFtthZAFlrGeUl3-rVndiuDn4UHdBsAwsin6t6iuw4Almb9Sgm-oXlgRGuj4CJNTw5a1HVrn8V3sFKdwQzQzDHxmnVmb-1INY7rcR4xQ5X59VvtW5Ok6ECsweP9oblLsD9bzSrbbRnFXCJ3-yefDDGj9D1HSDLsYuDz6spoCPJzZTEzsU8aCUsS5milfoUgPBzTMH90QbcrvFLaFkS7AXI0zzfJCYu-UdbymGkRwwyHZj4qgwDw=w503-h685-no" />

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dwVrDjXoIkHrBz_-23gv6A61L4P38ulcZf2fdlVjX2I7SJirqLVf615nvDeZiYi91nGyXycoaJYbYdrvqhk1O2HIp2lmiteOu6yHu4M2CGB8Oo3NR-OlGsJJR4rY6PV-zySkojKNYuHBNSPGwLYj82oibYvjJGTBXWDFgLG4zlMOKRtruO8QnDMhivBFkm3VelSmpyKyu-vpI9K4r2igueJj5oo-tbyN80oee33o0-mP7jkWTKqt4w5UuQLvN8Yzclsxa3ztxj3AYBlBzlicGbd6eFJ0kr2hV1h3i2QUBxdOH6IpktMZ67EB89p_cv-RpbDE2G3ADDcVjLd-BdG8ne06ZQErhk3XRnDMpTywk7geFPfIdo7Z7jCGnqOU0VGnG2ZbEAQEDQtNEoou1QHyzTYp_ogFr3OTa7WBiobqqC1JhJqYFpmDQkijtMVyQn-7z0NRJgVmaHeyT6hKVMCHplr1shw1rpO-jnZwLv1mR11UccW-fbdXti78a-h6lK_J4eXr-HTweOOp_VUT1NxC2hemCCsh9uPjvNL8Q3ykktkW5wepW6BOioABEIYtltyZPi3cq2v8jeRqh0_aH7osp7nIWPieqSuHuiirFLuk9BXV-Z13MeaqLbFp9Elcc3eIg2889SW998wJJU1hJaNTIjdIt9Xw2mX6Iw=w544-h680-no" />

We made eight runs, the seventh was the best one of the day, perfect corn cooling down from just a little sticky, conditions were mostly pretty good with a little cloud cover from time to time keeping things from getting too warm. The project took eleven hours and thirty-five minuets, the last run of the day was the worst by far, at the top of the last lap we were definitely acting like all three of us has been cracked in the head with a billy club. We had stashed a beer for the celebration, but we were too cold to really enjoy it, and the ski down was on refrozen ski tracks on wobbly legs. This was a great day with friends, and a sober reminder that there tons of you out there that can do this before lunch!

So glad we did this, Jamie! Thanks for the report and the great company. Here is a posed photo from the top of our last run. We all tried to look strong, but I can see fatigue in each of us :)

You are making  me nostalgic for  my last tour with the dog we had before  our current  one. He was a great outdoor partner but had somewhat  gimpy hips  so  generally he didn't go touring  with me aside from when there were bulletproof conditions with perhaps a few inches on  top, or reliably consolidated corn skiing which typically meant laps at a close ski area. So our last tour together was a mellow outing at Mission, during  which I went fairly slow on the down and waited a lot so  that  he never felt like he should be running fast. Ahh, a good memory.

That last pic shows what I've  loved the couple of times I've toured there after the area  closed - when you  get into  a spot where  beyond the near  snow-horizon is juxtaposed against the completely-bare-of-snow desert floor far  beyond. Such a  cool spot at this time of  year!!

And you're  also reminding me of being up at a BC hut on a guided trip at a place with a very  good "lapping" slope (super wide, 1000-1500 runs depending on line; a seemingly infinite resource). He told us a guy on a recent trip there  had wanted to rack up  10K one of the days  so they went to  that  slope. The guide said he didn't seem to be having a whole lot of fun ticking this off his list. Some of us are mere mortals.

Thanks for a great TR Jamie!  Couldn't have asked for a better group to do this with.  For what should have been a miserable sufferfest, it was really a great time. 

My feet start quivering when they get within 10 feet of my boots...it might be a few days yet before that relationship is healed.

Reply to this TR

april-29-2018-wenatchee-mt-10-grand
jtack
2018-05-01 08:47:15