Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2018, Cave Rock - Palisades Bowl

April 27, 2018, Cave Rock - Palisades Bowl

4/27/18
Posted by Zap on 4/28/18 1:07pm

We thought  we could spend the night in the main parking lot at Kirkwood Resort; the sign at the entrance to the lot said "Overnight Parking OK but park in the center of the lot" (we guess so the snowplows can plow to the edges). We were in our camper-van watching a Netflix movie when there was the knock on the side door of the van. Yes, it was a pair of "Security" guys who said we couldn't park there or anywhere in the Kirkwood valley overnight.  I explained the "Overnight" sign (which he was unaware of ), he walked over to it with his flashlight, and then came back and explained to us what it "really means". It's for an emergency, for when a snow storm is raging and it is not safe to drive out of the area with chain control.  In our 18 years of parking in ski areas we have experienced only one other instance of being asked to move. I tried to discuss the issue, but I soon realized that it was his job. So we moved about 8 miles away to a Sno-Park for which we have this season's Sno-Park permit.

OK, the real story of skinning and skiing. Our last visit was on March 26 when Kirkwood had a BIG wind storm. The area is now closed for the season and it has a fantastic base. We parked near the Timber Creek base area where they are building a large new facility. I have to uphold my "park near the snow" reputation. You look west from the camper-van and you see Glove Rock and Martin Point on the ridge; below the ridge is Cave Rock, Palisades Bowl, and Sentinel Bowl. We skinned towards Cave Rock and ended up in Palisades Bowl. We skied this area years ago when we rode the Cornice Express on numerous powder days, but the view climbing is different with skins on. It was interesting (and sometimes challenging) to get to and past the numerous gullies and cliff areas. It was different and very quiet on a bluebird day with a building wind. We found some slush and firm places and then nice spring snow. This area has numerous areas to experience being alone in the wilderness.
Great to be hearing about the adventures in the Sierra.  Funny how that big empty lot was verboten.  What would a night out as security be without rousting a nice couple? 

You guys can appreciate this - finally made it to the San Gabriels this year (March) to ski Baldy bowl, wishing and praying the snow would be good.  It was merely "ok" but beat non-existent by a long shot.  And those LA denizens are a very happy bunch to be around, must be all the sun. 

Good to see and hear about the Sierra with some good snow pack.

Reply to this TR

april-27-2018-cave-rock-palisades-bowl
Zap
2018-04-28 20:07:25