Home > Trip Reports > April 27, 2018, Sahale Mountain

April 27, 2018, Sahale Mountain

4/27/18
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by Shred on 4/28/18 1:48am
We took advantage of the last good weather and headed up to ski some south facing corn.
Drove to the locked gate at the Eldorado Trail Head.
With a late start and in a big rush to lock in and ski the corn before it got over cooked, we took a short cut up Soldier Boy creek, which was ideal for avoiding the avalanche risk of the valley approach and probably saved us an hour or two on our commute.

We hit the Sahale Arm at 6800' in 3 hours from the car with a casual pace. Skied from just below the summit block at 1 p.m with ripper corn to about 6800' then iso mush and sticky moo down to Doubtful lake, via one of the east gullies.

We grabbed a bit of water from the lake and climbed back up to our ascent route and had a great 3k+ fall line ski back down to our shoes and a relaxing road walk back to the car.

Here is a really cool labeled pano, that Lane Aasen had tooken the day prior. Check it!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bgm-wE3mxu9U5Gp2jER3rGO0AcFZELoE/view?usp=drivesdk

Hopefully I will get around to making a vid.
I'd love to see any photos from your crew showing the conditions of Cache col, Magic mtn, and Hurry up. 

Nice work!

it was a fun day, and i was glad to get a chance to mop up the last of the good weather stretch.

author=danpeck link=topic=40602.msg161333#msg161333 date=1524974348">
I'd love to see any photos from your crew showing the conditions of Cache col, Magic mtn, and Hurry up.

hopefully better late than never! (click to link to the full res version).

Thanks for the report. At what point were you able to start skinning? Can you say a bit more about using the SB Creek cut? How are the routefinding and schwackiness ?

Onward, We were able to start skinning at Boston Creek.
We stayed on the left side of Soldier Boy untill treeline (around 5k) where the terrain opened up and we were able to cruise over to the arm.
There were a few short little brushy shenanigans, but all in all, the route was quite enjoyable.
I think this route is ideal when there is snow to the road, but It would most likely be a brush fest with thinner coverage.

Reply to this TR

april-27-2018-sahale-mountain
Shred
2018-04-28 08:48:37