Home > Trip Reports > Apr 26, 2018, Baker south side

Apr 26, 2018, Baker south side

4/26/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by snoholic on 4/27/18 5:48am
3-4 miles of snow covered road before schriebers. (we used sleds to 6500'). Easy skin to summit from there. Mushy but not too sticky skiing from summit to 7k. Velcro below that. Sledders poached summit while we were taking a siesta. They made deep trenches in the headwall, kinda a bummer since that was the skiing we were most looking forward too.

wow, i knew sleds were powerful now, but i had no idea they'd be able to climb any of the walls that lead to the summit

Hey thanks for the photos! Looks awesome. What time did you all start skiing down at?

Left the summit about 4pm after hanging out up there for 1.5-2hrs. Had a very leisurly day. (left Seattle after 6am that morning.)

author=snoholic link=topic=40598.msg161317#msg161317 date=1524862116]
Sledders poached summit

Stupid SOBs.  The USFS needs to step up enforcement.  Leaving the Rec. area is way too common.

Posting Photos of the Poachers (People, sleds, and/or Trucks) can result in useful enforcement from the sledding community.

Snowmobilers of many stripes know that visible wilderness poaching brings the closure of riding areas sooner, so guilty parties may get talked to or a righteous beat-down from sledders intent on keeping the little slice of heaven that is currently open for motorized use.

author=nbsar link=topic=40598.msg161442#msg161442 date=1525494172]
Posting Photos of the Poachers (People, sleds, and/or Trucks) can result in useful enforcement from the sledding community.

Snowmobilers of many stripes know that visible wilderness poaching brings the closure of riding areas sooner, so guilty parties may get talked to or a righteous beat-down from sledders intent on keeping the little slice of heaven that is currently open for motorized use.

...and if they were in fact "sleds" and not snow bikes... that would narrow it down.

One sled, one bike last week. Was back up at the summit yesterday and a lesser skilled sledder poached again. I was super pissed off as he was not capable of riding down the headwall and was slowly and precariously dragging his sled down inch by inch as our party skinned up directly below. I was wishing bad things for him!  I thought last week was just a fluke incident and let go, but... WTF?

Agree.  Get pictures and share with the Forest Service in Sedro Woolley. 

Reply to this TR

apr-26-2018-baker-south-side
snoholic
2018-04-27 12:48:36