Home > Trip Reports > April 25, 2018, Nisqually Chutes

April 25, 2018, Nisqually Chutes

4/25/18
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by telemack on 4/25/18 2:14pm
Perfect temperatures today with a nice breeze and high clouds. We skinned to about 8800', enjoyed the lower Muir, then linked zigzaggy lines to the left of the main chute. Smooth butter up high, the lower glacier is well covered, and it was easy to traverse across to the right edge of the valley. We only walked the last 1/4 mile to the bridge.
I like your trip report. But you walk a quarter of a mile to get to the bridge wow.

There was coverage all the way to the bridge but we had taken off our skis for the easy stream crossing so it seemed just as simple  to walk- it wasn't really and both of us had some shocking post holes. Seemed like it would have been nice skiing all the way down from Camp Muir but we were concerned about the state of the snow down low- it was pretty goopy along the river.

I think on the E side of the river you can still make it without any walking.

author=kamtron link=topic=40593.msg161305#msg161305 date=1524758326]
I think on the E side of the river you can still make it without any walking.

Looked likely!  Crossing to the west on the lower glacier let us avoid the main river channel.  The "walking" also involved a lovely scramble up a waterfall under the bridge.

author=telemack link=topic=40593.msg161307#msg161307 date=1524774886]
Looked likely! Crossing to the west on the lower glacier let us avoid the main river channel. The "walking" also involved a lovely scramble up a waterfall under the bridge.

FWIW, the easiest way to finish the west side exit is to ski under & past the bridge about 50 yards, then boot or skin 100vf to the parking lot. Aim slightly back up valley; ignore the old approach road that dead-ends under the bridge. Seems easier than hiking across the bridge to me, plus the east side seems subject to more afternoon rockfall. 

Reply to this TR

april-25-2018-nisqually-chutes
telemack
2018-04-25 21:14:42