Home > Trip Reports > April 20-22, 2018, Enchantments Traverse

April 20-22, 2018, Enchantments Traverse

4/20/18
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Calvin on 4/25/18 8:11am
Finally got the chance to do a multi-day ski tour this last weekend.

My dad and I did the enchantments loops starting at snow lakes TH and ending at the Stuart lakes TH. We transitioned to skis at about 3300 ft with only a few fallen logs and bare patches to navigate. We spent the first night at snow lakes. On day 2 we moved up into the enchantment core, all the while noting how quickly the clouds were whipping over the peaks surrounding us. Once we topped out the last major climb to Lake Vivian we were greeted with high winds and snow flurries. As we proceeded the weather continued to deteriorate and we decided to find shelter.

We found a nice spot in the wind scoured trough behind a large boulder. It was likely the only spot that would have prevented our (notably not four season) tent from being ripped to shreds. We spent a very cold night that made me wish I had a warmer sleeping bag. I slept with my ski booties on for warmth, had some toe pain so I had to take off the booties. Luckily after a few minutes my hurting toes were numb and I could put the booties back on!

The morning of the 22nd was frigid and clear. Despite snowing through most of the night there was no accumulation due to the wind. We made our way to Asgard pass and being impatient for warmth and Heidle Burgers decided to send 'er rather than wait for the corn to ripen up. The upper pass made for exciting, steep, slide for life, boiler plate survival skiing. The lower pass had about an inch of sheltered pow in some areas that reminded us that skiing is in fact fun (ah who am I kidding, the scary terrible stuff was fun too). Skiing the steep trees down from Colchuck lake was great, a few interesting side slips and pillow drops may be required depending on your chosen route. Skis can be left on all the way past the trailhead until the bridge over eight mile creek (3300 ft). Dry road walking down to the gate at the bridge over Icicle ck.

Over all it was a great trip. Would be even better with in the near future with warmer temps. It's always nice to have some good time with dad out in the mountains even if it is a fine and pleasant misery.
How much snow was on the road out?

A fine and pleasant trip report.

Great adventure

Gnarly.  Good job choosing your Dad. 😂

Jay Mon: There was enough snow to ski to the bridge but probably only about 6-8". After the warm weather this week I'm sure it's totally different.

Reply to this TR

april-20-22-2018-enchantments-traverse
Calvin
2018-04-25 15:11:17