Home > Trip Reports > April 22, 2018, Alta(ish)

April 22, 2018, Alta(ish)

4/22/18
Posted by Jake the Brit on 4/23/18 1:42pm
I climbed up the Gold Lake creek, with one tricky verglas crampon'd mixed move. I need variety.
The snow/ ice on the waterfall bit will melt out soon.

Heavenly high plateau skiing was on from then, I went towards Alta via Rachel lake. It's a Bump-World up there with lakes promulgating in the dimples. I skiied accross 4 lakes yesterday, which I count as part of the payback for dealing endlessly with the tree-world of the PNW.
Alta is a defended winter summit. I see a boot track on Gearth, but that's shot in summer and the cornices are spectacular and many in the winter & spring & I'd be curious how many winter summits the true summit sees. I stopped on the ridge a long way short of the summit.

I got lost on the way back a few times atop bumps with no easy way down, so I was late into the Toilet Bowl, which skiied fine and heavy up top, but was a giant slush puppy above the choke. I observed plentiful wetslide activity every time I moved, so instead of making a red Mr Feeze with extra bone & gristle, I booted down the chute. Not recommended.  It was a bongo day!

Hillmap & a terrible quality G-Earth image, blue up, red down.
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDklIq-Cgw

Wow, nice work. I look up there often and wonder who might be venturing out that way.
I spend a few days a year on the slopes below the grinder and up valley past the waterfall.
little loops above the cabins

...I think it's an under-visited area which is a shame since it's great up there. I have probed different ways up for a few years now: The easiest so far is the Toilet Bowl, early in the AM when it's all nice & frozen West facing. I have got up to Lake Lillian via Rocky Run, but the traverse above Lake Lila(I think) is also steep & prone to wetsides. Early on I went directly up from the sno-park, but was stopped by the south spur of the Rampart Ridge summit block, which I heard the old man of this site climbed once upon a time...
Currently I'm thinking the open slope 1/4m further down Gold Creek from the waterfall will yield up a nice access & a good ski down.
Nice one Weezer. Rock on!
Old photo of the top terrain. looking north

I've never gone up on the ridge, I just kind  of cycle the Blue Square areas, breaking right just before the trail goes into the woods is a good way in, to the waterfall. A few sleds and a million snowshoes keep the 2 mi of flat groomed to sugar most of the winter. Weekdays are so quiet back in there

You skinned right past Flying Pie & passed it up?!

That one's been on my bucket list for awhile, moreso now because I can see it from my deck. I might have to go looking for your skin track next week...

Man I miss adventuring with The Brit!

Reply to this TR

april-22-2018-alta-ish
Jake the Brit
2018-04-23 20:42:14