Home > Forum > Crystal - 04/22 Really Big Last Day!

Crystal - 04/22 Really Big Last Day!

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Apr 2018 17:39 #231701 by ddk
Short Report - REALLY BIG LAST DAY!

Wordy Report - Arrived slightly late based on some other regular early's...Still small crowd to start....Kinda grey high overcast with the blue sky out west, absolutely terrible conditions for the first hour - but perfect for relearning how to ski nasty icy bumps and marginal rock hard groomers....but every run the conditions got better, the sun got brighter and warmer, the busy crowd scrapped LS into nice sugar (and eventually I think nice soft carving spring mush - not to mushy, just the right quality of mush). It was kinda cold early with a noticeable wind on the top of REX, but it kept getting warmer and warmer and just plain nice warm to make the front side of REX and the main center line on Chair 6 (awesome! Very repeatable), and BP's sweet happy! Never did PB, looked nice but not a lot of other crash test dummies were doing (at least while I was paying attention or looking down it)...Got sucked into the REX spring fun and thanks to a lucky bumping into Qf I got to finish the day with many easy happy runs down M Forest! Thanks Qf! Part was big on the mountain, outfits were entertaining, crowd was way happy with the totally great last day of the season at Crystal (was kinda iffy early). Overall the day was not as big as Friday...crowd was bigger, took longer for the quality spring soft to go off....but for the last day it was awesome.

Other - No clue on if there was soup today...no time...crowd was big on the base patio...#1 had a nice social lunch with JD - Thanks JD he was a nice person skiing with her...allowed me to be a total selfish jerk and ski my legs to jello...20k in the early morning ice fest and 20k of heaven bumps and slush and Hawaii shirt fun late morning into the late afternoon. Sad to see it end...not closing for lack of snow and quality skiing - this next week of warm sun will make that mentally painful. Didn't notice any sticky snow, but that might have been the nice smelling spring wax on our skis. So, now its on to other lift served areas and summer activities...Get ready Alpental!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Quick foot
  • [Quick foot]
More
22 Apr 2018 19:14 #231702 by Quick foot
Replied by Quick foot on topic Re: Crystal - 04/22 Really Big Last Day!
Happy---Sad. I got 2 chair rides with ddk. He turned me on to Bear Pits which was worth repeating. Great spring snow to end the season at Crystal. Nice vibe at the base at the end of the day. Nice cold one on the patio at the Naches. Hoping for good weather at Alpy next weekend, then on to Bachelor.
November sure is a long way off.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
22 Apr 2018 21:40 #231705 by flowing alpy
Replied by flowing alpy on topic Re: Crystal - 04/22 Really Big Last Day!
there really is no grooming to speak of at Alpy.