Home > Forum > DPS ski "wax"

DPS ski "wax"

• undermyownpower
  • [undermyownpower]
More
21 Apr 2018 09:42 #231688 by undermyownpower
DPS ski "wax" was created by undermyownpower
Hey all. Just a note of interest, i hope.
Dps ski "wax"!

I ski exclusively b/c. Usually nothing Very "extreme" but certainly a few multidays and 10 hour days.

I have no affiliation to this company. I think its a cool product and have not seen it discussed here.

There is this DPS ski wax that you have applied to the bottom of your skis. Ski them 10 times to break in the wax and then they you never have to wax again! Base grind, no problem.

It was explained to me that the wax is like having 4 day old conventional ski wax on your skis forever. It's not as good as a fresh performance wax but it's better than a ski with a few days on a waxed ski.

Hard chargers and performance skiers may want to stick with wax but.... I have about 15 days on treated skis now. They operate a little different . glide is ok but on flat or rolling terrain there is little ski back slide but good forward glide. Skiing steeps is great. Again not quite as good as a new wax but no grabbing in changing conditions . Pow of course skis great. Sloppy wet heavy "pow" also skis as well(meaning I fall as much as normal) as conventional waxed skis.

Look, i get it. Waxing skis with some Dead in the speakers and a beer is therapeutic. I'll miss that. Being able to grab my skis and go no matter conditions makes my life a bit easier.

I had my skis done at Ascent outdoors in Ballard ,Wa. You need to read the instructions if you plan to DIY. There are a few things that are a must for these to work well.

BTW i am not here to debate this It's just info. Hopefully you find it useful.

Have a safe and Happy Spring!

Keith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2018 01:46 #231829 by lernr
Replied by lernr on topic Re: DPS ski "wax"
Thanks for sharing - I've been wondering about this!

I like the waxing part, it's the scraping that I'm not crazy about ;)

Anyway, what you say is helpful! If I am at the resort, I like to wax more often - try to do it every weekend, if not every resort day, and change the type of wax for the conditions. I don't think there's too much left after 2 resort days for me. For BC - I expect many more runs left in the base, but then the conditions may change...

So I am still considering using this wax on some *non-primo* skis / board for when I'm lazy and will probably continue to use regular wax on others

Cheers
Ivo

• markharf
  • [markharf]
More
22 May 2018 02:18 #231830 by markharf
Replied by markharf on topic Re: DPS ski "wax"
Talk to me about pollen.

Like, does it repel pollen? Does it remain effective after I solvent-wash pollen off my bases? What's it like during the break-in period? Etc.

Thanks.

Mark

More
04 Jun 2018 18:01 #231864 by RossB
Replied by RossB on topic Re: DPS ski "wax"
I wonder if this would work well on the fish scales (AKA waxless skis). If so, it would be great, as treating that area is extremely difficult. My biggest problem is not speed  but sticking (I know it won't be super fast, but it sure is nice going up). It is quite common for my skis to glop up on the way up, which is really annoying. Most of my skiing is cross country in nature (Kendall and Amabalis) so this doesn't apply to everyone, but the same problem can occur for a low grade (shallow) approach on bigger skis (e. g. Voiles). I have stuff to stop the sticking, but if this treatment just does the job, it would be great.

At a minimum, I think I will try this with my rock skis. I usually don't wax those anyway, so any improvement would be great. This is really promising, and could be just the ticket.

(and yeah, it would be great if this stuff helped repel pollen)

More
06 Jun 2018 09:52 #231870 by Calvin
Replied by Calvin on topic Re: DPS ski "wax"
I have had a similar experience as you described. I got Phantom for my whole quiver (got a pro-deal so for the price I figured, "why not"). I have had no complaints. I am in the same boat as you, never on top of it enough to always have my skis freshly waxed. When I am on top of it, I can just wax over the top of phantom and its just like regular.

Here's the big plus in my opinion, no wax to contaminate your skin glue. If you are ok with good but not amazing wax performance, and you tour extensively, this is a huge plus in my opinion.