Home > Trip Reports > April 19, 2018, Granite Mtn

April 19, 2018, Granite Mtn

4/19/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by frank on 4/20/18 1:04am
Skipped the Granite turnoff on the trail, continuing on the Pratt Lk trail until the first significant drainage crossed the trail (outflow from Granite's W basin). 
Then straight up through endless trees towards the SW ridge, crossing under the toe of the ridge and into the W basin, then gained the NW ridge from the saddle that is above Crystal Lk.  Summited and essentially reversed the route.

Good turns were had on shallow, fast pseudo-corn near the ridge and upper bowl, then into the mank.  Ski cut one violent wet-loose that ran near the bottom of the bowl.  Enough to kill from trauma, possibly bury, or transport a lincoln continental quite a ways; about 2-3' debris.  I was able to watch the whole thing slowly grow and entrain from where I stopped in the bottom; this was enjoyable.

I've wanted to check out this western zone on Granite for some time, and glad to finally have done so.. the brief view you get from 90 has always left me intrigued.

Being alone on the mountain might have been the best part
Thanks for the report. I was on the south ridge of Granite the next day flowing some pseudo-corn, suppose it's time to start driving farther than the beloved pass. What a terrific winter it has been.

Reply to this TR

april-19-2018-granite-mtn
frank
2018-04-20 08:04:37