Home > Forum > What would you pay to ski untracked in a ski area?

What would you pay to ski untracked in a ski area?

• rippy
  • [rippy]
More
18 Apr 2018 12:58 #231656 by rippy
A lot of TAY'er's remember when a good powder day at Crystal afforded many clean un-tracked runs before skiers could cut it up. That was the "days of old" norm but now, fresh snow gets skiied out a LOT faster and unless you go side-country or hit a gate opening on time, better like the chop or groomer's. By and large, those are your choices after hour 1 with a typical crowd. So if an area did something like "first tracks", moderate enough terrain to not interfere with control work but gave an early opening to say the first paying 50 (or some reasonable number), what "special fee" would you pay to have an hour to carve powder before the mountain opens? This wouldn't be exclusive all-mountain access....just runs that offer good skiing and limit user risk. Not the early breakfast / ski kind of thing either, just a pay to play early approach. I'm curious given how everything seems marketable these days. If I got 4 - 5 runs and maybe 6K vertical out of the deal, sure would improve my day and I admit, some mornings I'd gladly pay if it was fair.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:45 #231657 by filbo
They started that at Whistler many moons ago and it pissed me off so much I haven't gone back.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
18 Apr 2018 18:41 #231660 by Scotsman
They already did that at Crystal.
First tracks breakfast.
You paid for an overpriced meal at the summit house and got to ski Green valley for 30 mins before they opened the resort.
You were then allowed to score fresh tracks in the rest of the resort while the punters were approaching the top on the lifts.
It became so popular that you had to book it in advance and it sold out when the forecast was good,

It started off well then gradually over time developed into a farce.
The breakfast got worse and worse and it ended up with people in the Summit House actually forming a line by the door with a patroller doing his/her best to keep the hordes from breaking the door down.
Since the toilet was reached by going outside the clever powder pigs begged to be let out to have a pee/poop and then lurked outside so you could be first.
Although i liberally used it and paid the cost gladly...... I was happy when they cancelled it.

• rippy
  • [rippy]
More
18 Apr 2018 19:39 #231661 by rippy
Yes, been around awhile and I believe, always done with a breakfast of institution quality offerings. Previous gigs had their issues and didn't make many friends with the general public but I speed inhaled a breakfast at Whistler once and had the best early 40 minutes ever. The head start made a difference for the next hour as guests arrived. I suspect paying for the early "shot" isn't everyone's idea of appropriate area management but I'm certain money would exchange hands on good days. Scotsman, that's funny about the line-up of skier's ready to run through the door and related shenanigans. Easy to understand why it wasn't sustainable....need the patrol out controlling snow, not a caboose load of adrenalized skiers.

• Nate Frederickson
  • [natefred]
More
19 Apr 2018 09:42 #231662 by Nate Frederickson
Replied by Nate Frederickson on topic Re: What would you pay to ski untracked in a ski area?
Last time I skied Crystal 5 years ago we did a first tracks breakfast for my bachelor party, a perfect memorable powder day with about 5 laps untracked before crowds caught up. Paying for the privilege might have felt naughty if it hadn't been a special occasion. I think it was $20-30, I ski lift served so infrequently I would pay that again in a heartbeat on the right day.

More
19 Apr 2018 10:22 #231663 by DG
I wouldn't pay for it and would probably be pretty annoyed by it, maybe enough to go elsewhere. Having a bit of flexibility in my work schedule, knowing the nooks and crannies of the local resorts, and keeping a nuanced eye on the weather forecast seems to work pretty well, even in these ever-more-crowded days.

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
19 Apr 2018 11:25 #231664 by OregonDead
How about tree fiddy?

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Apr 2018 15:17 #231665 by flowing alpy
37$'s

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
19 Apr 2018 15:54 #231669 by pipedream

37$'s

That price should afford you the opportunity to be one of the first human groomers down l'Internationale. Available only on non-powder days or days with significant control work

IMO, there should be a donation box at the front of the patrol lane for 2 in which those lucky enough to snag a single on a busy day can make a donation to patrol (BARK / Volly) for their good fortune

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
19 Apr 2018 19:36 - 19 Apr 2018 21:33 #231673 by Scotsman

Having a bit of flexibility in my work schedule, knowing the nooks and crannies of the local resorts, and keeping a nuanced eye on the weather forecast seems to work pretty well, even in these ever-more-crowded days.

Couldn't agree more.
Despite the crowds I have never felt deprived of fresh tracks this season. A bit of local savvy, heading in the opposite direction to the herd and knowing your hill intimately means you can get more than your fair share....plus when It does eventually get completely tracked out I head for the sidecountry and backcounty where I always get fresh tracks.

• Randito
  • [Randito]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
21 Apr 2018 20:49 #231696 by Randito
If you've got money to burn, why screw around?

www.canadianmountainholidays.com/trip-grid/#/?q={%22types%22:[%22ski-PM%22],%22available%22:1,%22sort%22:%22dateAsc%22}

• wickstad
  • [wickstad]
More
26 Apr 2018 19:30 #231722 by wickstad
The price of a season's pass at Mission Ridge. Probably not for much longer though. Seems like the secret has been getting out.

More
11 May 2018 15:08 #231789 by Troy
Realistically, the only current way to get a satisfying powder day is to go backcountry midweek or heli when the weather cooperates.

My advice to frustrated resort skiers is to join a ski patrol at your favourite resort.  You'll get as many powder runs as you can fit into an hour for free (before opening).  Downside is then you spend the rest of the day fixing rope lines, lifting tower pads, and helping broken skiers (which is actually the best part).

:)

• OregonDead
  • [OregonDead]
More
11 May 2018 16:22 #231790 by OregonDead
I appreciate the Ski Patrolers but you'll have a hard time convincing me they get more shots at fresh pow. Gotta do that because you believe in it not for the perks IMO.

Trick to getting fresh tracks all day is just to ski where you and the others haven't already skied. Works for me every time there is pow.

Realistically, the only current way to get a satisfying powder day is to go backcountry midweek or heli when the weather cooperates.

My advice to frustrated resort skiers is to join a ski patrol at your favourite resort.  You'll get as many powder runs as you can fit into an hour for free (before opening).  Downside is then you spend the rest of the day fixing rope lines, lifting tower pads, and helping broken skiers (which is actually the best part).

:)

• pipedream
  • [pipedream]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 May 2018 10:27 #231791 by pipedream
A little birdie told me it's only 20 grand to buyout our fair lady of Alpental for a day... I'd share the hill on a "powder Monday" with a few hundred others for $50-100 ;)

More
13 May 2018 18:59 #231802 by Troy

I appreciate the Ski Patrolers but you'll have a hard time convincing me they get more shots at fresh pow. Gotta do that because you believe in it not for the perks IMO. 

Trick to getting fresh tracks all day is just to ski where you and the others haven't already skied.  Works for me every time there is pow. 

You are very wise (not sarcastic).  But ski patrolling is super fun.  I recommend it to every skier.

Most of my ski days are in the backcountry or on Search And Rescue missions.  So I usually only get just one pleasant run per day.  I'll always trade a bunch of laps at a resort for one great backcountry ski.

Cheers.

More
16 May 2018 13:42 #231810 by sprice
What would you pay per day to ski in a backcountry only ski area?

Smithers:

www.hankinmtn.com/about.html