Home > Trip Reports > Apr 17, 2018, SnoQ--180417

Apr 17, 2018, SnoQ--180417

4/17/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by cumulus on 4/17/18 11:35am

Rockface @ alpy slid this morning all on its own-some. Impressive debris.

Upon returning to my car around noon I was asked where I was coming from by a black-bearded man driving a Summit pick up truck. I told him "up there" pointing the opposite direction of Alpental. Apparently the Alpy folks were not pleased with the dozen or so folks who decided to skin Alpental today. Skinners were lucky to not be bombed (alpy patrol had planned on it, but then spied some skinners...), or taken out by Rockface. I agreed with him... I mean "why skin Alpental? when you have all THIS (waving arms widely at the grand expanse of Snoqualmie terrain options).  We smiled.

Variable wind effects and wumphing up above tree level kept us lower in wind sheltered environs today which was just fine, with 3ft. of fresh at 5K--worth a couple of laps for sure! Entry required some plowing... lucky to have had an expansive skin track crew. Felt like winter. At least until the occasional sunbreak... that sun heats things up fast! Snow was def heavier at the bottom of the last run.

Fun to meet and see the folks who were out. I think April is the new March...

Nice, Stefan. Glad you got it good. The pic--Thunder basin exit gully cornice? Looking hungry and wet.

Thanks for the skin track today, much appreciated although I think the grade was way steeper than a AMGA certified track and has us slipping and sliding quite a few times but the waterfall section was money!! Great snow still there today.

If anyone finds a Fritschi Vipec black heel riser then give me a shout, both high lifters fell off today but I recovered one. It will be on the skin track somewhere.

Thanks!

good eye Kam--yep, that's the one.
I like how it has a slightly sinister anime look to it... but maybe that's just me

Funny about that track Haggis...yeah prob not certified. Put in by a climber, I think he just likes vert ( :

Was up there again today as well--sorry didn't see any lifters, would have picked them up if I did!
And yes, still excellent today, heavy mush with pinwheels on the last leg... the in between was good tho, with a little help from some friends!

author=cumulus link=topic=40553.msg161171#msg161171 date=1524110701]And yes, still excellent today,

Holy cold smoke! Awesome!

We had a little of that at Mission Ridge on Monday, but it's all wind hammered now and ski-able still, but just barely.

How was the runnel?

author=kamtron link=topic=40553.msg161174#msg161174 date=1524146344]
runnel?

hmmm not sure what you mean?

no runnels whatsoever on the menu...

yeah thanks Mike it was surprisingly awesome and stable, I think a couple of walls to box it in helped for sure

ha--just found out there's a news story

We were met by a news crew when we got back to the parking lot yesterday. It was somewhat amusing after spending the morning skiing stable blower pow... and suddenly being asked questions like "If something happened, would you blame Search and Rescue if they didn't come out and rescue you?"  And I was like hell no, do I look like Donald Trump?  nah--I would never blame them, I take full responsibility for my actions. and uh, actually half of our party is search and rescue...

KOMO called their story "Despite the avalanche risks, skiers still hit the backcountry" 
I like it--and would have to say: yep. always have, always will. but you want to be smart about it: that's the key. stay in the moment. remain vigilant as to where you position your body in space relative to all the perpetually changing natural phenomena outside of your body (in-a-nutshell : )

funny a skiing bud who now works for NWAC is also in the vid - - hi!

Hahaha! I would have loved to have seen that reporters expression 😂😂
Nice work, getting the goods👍and glad you survived 😀

I saw them in the parking lot early too, must have got wind there was some action going down with control work.

Not 100% sure what the official rating for Tues and Wed was but it is certainly a good time to avoid areas where glide cracks and climax avalanches are known and of course overhead hangfire.  It was probably considerable Tues over all elevations and considerable above treeline on Wed and moderate below.  That's my guess based on touring both days.  Also I've always thought that going out early in spring is super wise, especially when there is fresh snow.  Anything to beat the sun, and early for us being on snow by 6am both days and off before 11.

Reply to this TR

apr-17-2018-snoq-180417
cumulus
2018-04-17 18:35:20