telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/18/18, 05:22 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Lift-accessed Skiing Reports: non-backcountry
| | |-+  Crystal - 4/16
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crystal - 4/16  (Read 641 times)
CD

Crystal - 4/16
« on: 04/16/18, 02:35 PM »

QRM Score:  1 for crowds; lightest this year for me.  1 for visibility; mostly good visibility in spite of it snowing all day and fairly light winds (less than in town).  0 for snow; more on that in a bit.  I can't quite make it a 2 out of 3 day however due to the lack of grooming and limited skiable terrain, so make it a 1.5 out of three day with a noon departure.

Arrived at 8:05 and parked in the front row of free parking.  27 and snowing at the base.  Grooming report unrealistically optimistic with even MIFB groomed.  It hasn't been groomed in over a week.  Not quite believing the report, took our first run down LS to find 2 - 3 inches of snow on top of some questionable grooming.  It must have been really wet when they groomed.  Still, the new snow saved us and it was pretty good.  Next run, I decided to try MIFB, but checked with a pro-patroller first.  He said he was sure they groomed it last night, but no first-hand knowledge.  Off I go.  Big mistake...wasn't groomed and the worst run of the season for me.  So, we stayed mostly in GV on the groomers with occasional runs off-piste or a run down LS.  The best off-piste in GV was Snorting Elk and the worst was Grubstake.  Even though it continued to snow refreshing some places, LS got either scraped off or packed hard and the Valley was getting repetitive.  At noon, we all agreed we were done.

Hoping we get a warmer sunny day later in the week as forecast to finish the year.  Not a lot of those this year.   
ddk

Re: Crystal - 4/16
« Reply #1 on: 04/16/18, 04:10 PM »

And the other half a glass report….

Short Report – Arrived typically early to an empty Crystal world…after passing a couple of Elk running up the Blvd…nice small pay lot…snowing (again dangit! But better than rain).  Hints of sun most of the day through the high haze and almost pleasant early afternoon, snowed almost all day with a very hard hit early morning and another hard mid day which made a noticeable impact early afternoon when the sun really almost came out…and at that point the vis was great for skiing the smooth spots in GV Bowl and watching some big skiers scream down PB…Grooming was marginal but doable if you stayed in the narrow paths and was actually pleasant on LS early before the small crowd scraped it to ice skating quality (not great for the old Rock Coomba edges, just had to be more selective in the path)…Only did a couple of early morning runs in GV and didn’t do MIFB till late morning into early afternoon (ps. CD… it was actually groomed on Sunday…otherwise it would have had real bumps and the sign at the top did say “Groomed run ends here”?Huh) when I did it the vis was better and there was a hint of sun softening.  Did find a few of my short fav slots off REX that got better and better with the never ending snow fall today….what would you expect? Skied a few runs on FQex with #1 which were nice and empty. Another day, the last Monday at Crystal for lifts, not many days left and the snow pack is the deepest its been all season.

Wordy Report – See Short Report…

Other – No CB lodge (not even bathroom access for the female type humans – I filed a complaint at the base for #1), word was no access till next weekend?  What?…other…suffered eating in the Bullwheel, but did get a nice expensive bowl of Chicken Noodle. (other complaint today was the mid day food service…only the Bullwheel and its not reasonably priced for the average cheap old person).  As noted the pay lot was small which allowed the rest of the A lot to almost get full with the massive crowd today…nobody in B or C other than employees.   Saw Elk this morning, but most were well off the road – other the Blvd Elk.  Drive up and down was at max happy easy driving speed.  All in all my glass was happily over half full…could have been a lot worse….
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.