Home > Forum > MSH From Red Rock Pass

MSH From Red Rock Pass

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
15 Apr 2018 22:37 #161115 by dfhkvs
MSH From Red Rock Pass was created by dfhkvs
Hi there; anyone skied the SW aspect of MSH from Red Rock? Curious for any route tips / GPS tracks, etc. Satellite photos show a few stream drainages that might make for decent approach lines, but I'm always interested in first hand information.

Kind regards,
Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
16 Apr 2018 08:43 #161118 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass
Many years ago (1985, before the mountain was re-opened) my brother and I did a bandito ascent from FS-8123 on the WSW side of the mountain. This is a little NW of Redrock Pass.

We skied the road for a couple miles and left it, I think, near what is now the Blue Lake trailhead. From there my journal says, "Turned east toward mountain. Very gradual ascent through trees, working slightly left, eventually meeting open area of mudflow. Switched to crampons as angle increased and trudged to summit rim."

It was a good ski route, as I recall. I imagine that the tree cover may have changed somewhat since then.

More
17 Apr 2018 08:52 - 17 Apr 2018 09:26 #161135 by Pinch
Replied by Pinch on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass
Yes, we parked on red rock pass and there was a trail heading straight to the mtn right from the pass. Easy route finding through the trees, then you pop out on nice slopes to the summit directly (west rim). Good ski. No people when we did it, but that was 20 years ago.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 09:26 by Pinch.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
17 Apr 2018 11:05 #161139 by kamtron

More
18 Apr 2018 11:54 #161158 by Rainypm
Replied by Rainypm on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass
I've skied several time.

The trail from Red Rocks Pass to the Lowit trail isn't well marked and can be hard to follow if the trail is snow covered. Once across the lava field and into the trees it can become very confusing if you don't know the route. This would be the hardest part and can create issues upon decent if you miss your tracks. When the snow is deep in the tree's, I have just used compass bearing to ski back to Red Rocks Pass but would advise against it. The link shows the route I have taken along the trail on an early season attempt.

Once above treeline it is very easy to pick a route to skin up.
The whole area can be an amazing ski/snowboard. Its one of my favorite ski routes.

caltopo.com/p/4D1U

Be careful if you descend a different drainage. You can use Butte Camp Dome as a visual reference when coming down if the weather is good.
Use an altimeter and the Lowit trail as a reference. Its at about 4800' around the mountain and is a good reference to use to get back to the trail you came up. If you go below 4800' and into any of the wrong drainage it becomes a miserable bushwhack.
Also the trail 231(Kalama ski tr) is horribly marked once it crosses west FS rd 830(Climbers Bivy rd).

If you have more questions let me know. I have spent a lot of time on Mt St Helen's and live locally.

I was up at Mt St Helen's on Monday (4/16) and the gate for FS Rd 83 was locked at Cougar Snopark. I don't have any beta on the other approach to Red Rock Pass from the west but the road should be gated by Kalama Horse Camp.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
18 Apr 2018 13:03 #161161 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass
I'd also be more interested in this info.

I was up at Mt St Helen's on Monday (4/16) and the gate for FS Rd 83 was locked at Cougar Snopark. I don't have any beta on the other approach to Red Rock Pass from the west but the road should be gated by Kalama Horse Camp. 

According to their website, FR 83 is open to Marble Mtn (www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/giffordpinchot/recreation). I think you mean FR 81? Would be cool if they opened up for those of us interested in avoiding the Worm crowds.

More
18 Apr 2018 20:21 #161170 by Rainypm
Replied by Rainypm on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass

I think you mean FR 81?

sorry my bad. you are correct, FS Rd 81 turns off at Cougar Snopark and goes over to Kalama Horse Camp.

Depending on the snow level, FS Rd 81 will open prior to FS Rd 830(Climbers Bivy @ 3800'). Red Rocks Pass elevation is about 3000' the 238A trail(Butte Camp Dome tr) exits tree line about 4600'.
www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/giffordpinchot/recarea/?recid=47022

At about 4200' the trail side hills a slope which can snow load and become quite steep, it can be traversed with care and caution.

I generally ski the Dryer GI fall line but will change it up depending on what looks best. This route will give you the most options of descent then the two standard climbing routes due to open terrain.

Don't want to drift post with a trip report about Monday.

• dfhkvs
  • [dfhkvs]
More
18 Apr 2018 22:33 #161173 by dfhkvs
Replied by dfhkvs on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass
Super useful information. Rainypm, thanks for the link. I would have thought that one would ascend the drainage leading to the red '20' on that map.

I'll give it a try some time! Thanks again for taking the time to reply...

Dave.

• kamtron
  • [kamtron]
More
23 Apr 2018 14:02 #161267 by kamtron
Replied by kamtron on topic Re: MSH From Red Rock Pass
We went, status here: www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboardi...ex.php?topic=40583.0
If you wait for the gate to be open, the approach would be more reasonable.