Home > Forum > Gold Creek drainage?  are there 'bilers up there?

Gold Creek drainage?  are there 'bilers up there?

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
14 Feb 2006 06:42 #174274 by Pete A
Not sure where the wilderness boundaries around around the Gold Creek drainage north of Hyak, but theres a tour I'd like to do that is probably most easily accessed via Gold Creek.<br>I'll look at alternative routes if this area is overrun by snowmobilers. <br>The Gold Creek snopark is a 'motorized sno-park'...just not sure where the motorized use occurs...can they/do they buzz up Gold Creek quite a ways?<br><br>If anyone could pass along some info to me, I'd appreciate it. thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hyak.net
  • [hyak.net]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 Feb 2006 09:07 #174282 by hyak.net
Is this what you are looking for?<br><br>www.parks.wa.gov/winter/parks/maps/msp093.jpg

• Jim Oker
  • [jim_oker]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
14 Feb 2006 11:57 #174286 by Jim Oker
They certainly park near Gold Creek to head up Margaret and points further south, but I've not ever seen them coming in/out of the Gold Creek drainage itself. Someone told me that some cabin owners use them for winter access to cabins up along the first bit of Gold Creek you get to when leaving the highway, but I don't know if that's true or not. I've done a mellow XC-ski up this drainage a few times and have never seen nor heard a snowmobile, even on a day when the trailers were backed up from the Margaret parking area all the way back to the Gold Creek parking area (in other words a BIG snowmobiler day at the Pass). So even if a few cabin owners use them for the first mile or so, I think you'd likely not see them at all.<br><br>Alta? Chickamin? Points beyond? Not telling?

• Pete A
  • [Bud]
More
14 Feb 2006 12:25 - 14 Feb 2006 12:29 #174289 by Pete A
thanks for the info, thats good news.<br><br>i'd like to ski the south face of Alaska Mtn... wanted to go last weekend, but couldn't find a partner for both sat & sun.<br><br>

More
14 Feb 2006 15:01 #174297 by stihlfree
pete a, so the wilderness boundary is not too far up into the gold creek drainage. from the parking area for gold creek pond, where the toilets are that are open in the summer, it is about two miles on foot. where the gate is, that is the start of the cabins which extends up into the drainage for maybe one of the miles. then the summer trail begins. the wilderness boundary is only about another mile from here. the use of a snomo here would greatly benefit your approach to alaska but i wouldn't recommend it in this area. the area is surrounded with snopark access and motorized trails, but gold creek drainage itself is not used much for snomos. i'm not sure of the legality of their use in the drainage. the conditions now are pretty good for fast travels anyhow. drop me a pm if you are planning to go up there. i live up here and look at that mtn everyday.