Home > Trip Reports > April 9, 2018, - Hyak with snowmobilers

April 9, 2018, - Hyak with snowmobilers

4/9/18
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by joshc on 4/10/18 1:35am
Took advantage of the sun break yesterday to get some after work laps at Hyak. At least 7 or 8 other folks out doing the same. Not that a conditions report matters with the return of rain this morning, but the backside was horrendous, straightline-or-come-to-a-stop, sticky schmoo. The face held surprisingly fun, slushy turns, so long as you kept your speed up.

Mostly writing this report because I was surprised to see snowmobilers ripping around in-bounds. First it was just one sled with two guys taking turns dropping each other off at the top so one could snowboard down. Then on my last lap a second snowmobiler had joined. Can't say I was particularly bothered. The sound of snowmobiles is only marginally more invasive than the ever-present rumble of I-90 one hears at Hyak. But I've never seen snowmobiles at Hyak, other than Summit patrol and ops, so I was curious if it's common and/or allowed there once the lifts shut down for the season, or if this was just a particularly bold group of riders.
I'm not positive but I highly doubt that it's allowed within boundaries even when closed... and that probably includes pre and post season also.  I know that's the case for Stevens Pass.  Stevens has signs posted 'no snowmobiles' on front side within boundaries, but they do allow backside / Mill Valley post season.  If it's allowed, then it's a share the trail deal.  If not allowed, then it should be enforced.  Last year 8 snowmobilers from a local club came flying over a blind crest, right past 'no snowmobile' signs and made a very dangerous close call with a group skinning up.  They illegally spent a good 1/2 hour ripping around the Stevens front side, then left. A quick check with Snoq. Patrol should give the definitive answer. I am not against snowmobiles....I want one too, but I am against those that blatantly disregard rules and put others in harm's way.

Sleds are excluded from the permit boundary during the season.  But once the nordic center and hyak close -- sleds invade. 

It's provably never been tested legally -- the summit operates sleds over their permit area during the season, but private sledders seem to respect the groomed areas during the season pretty well.

Sledders are pretty well organized and one of their big concerns is having more areas closed off to motorized recreation -- so I think sledders know that razzing around and  messing up the groomed trails and slopes would be bad for the effort of keeping other areas open to sleds.

Interesting. I figured it was all in the details of Summit's use permit. Just didn't know what those details were (or how much control of the land they retain when post-season).

My understanding is that snowmobiles are permitted to use the Hidden Valley side of Hyak after 4/15. My limited additional understanding is that they are permitted to use the forest road which switchbacks beneath the Rampart area, too, to access the backside terrain. Of course, I could be (and probably am) wrong, but I do know that they are permitted to use the nordic trails and terrain that extend from Hyak to Ollalie Meadow after 4/15 and the north side of Silver Peak (mainly the north bowl).

I have seen snowmobile carried skiers a couple times.  From what I remember they mainly did stick to the mapped forest roads and I don't remember being particularly bothered.  I'm pretty anti-snowmobile in general so if they were doing something iffy I probably would have remembered.

Reply to this TR

april-9-2018-hyak-with-snowmobilers
joshc
2018-04-10 08:35:13