Home > Forum > Xth Mtn."Boys Of Winter" Ski Troops

Xth Mtn."Boys Of Winter" Ski Troops

• SKIER-X
  • [SKIER-X]
More
06 Apr 2018 13:56 - 06 Apr 2018 14:09 #231043 by SKIER-X
Its that time of year to pay tribute and read "The Boys Of Winter" , as many of these pioneering ski mountaineers payed the ultimate price . It puts in perspective our modern skiing experience and luxury as well as learning the history of the National Ski Patrol and the brave souls we lost in battle . They were in deep shit right about now and deserve recognition as there are not many of them left . Semper Avanti , Enjoy ,  X.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
06 Apr 2018 17:55 #231591 by Lowell_Skoog
Replied by Lowell_Skoog on topic Re: Xth Mtn."Boys Of Winter" Ski Troops
I think all the 10th Mountain veterans I've talked to are gone now. Things would be very different today without them.

A glimpse of one can be found in this NWMJ story:

Duke Watson: A Mountaineer For All Seasons

• alecapone
  • [alecapone]
More
07 Apr 2018 07:56 #231595 by alecapone
Thanks for the suggested reads.

Some of my first glade skiing was the 10th mountain trees on whiteface. The experience was quite different because your mind is on the guys who schussed there before you, and what they went through. never quite had the same "feeling" since then.

Love the growing signature x. Do you wear your cowl while driving the zamboni? Or is that just for skiing? Can you get me the specs on ADA skin tracks?

• frank
  • [El Destructor]
More
07 Apr 2018 08:15 #231596 by frank

That was an excellent read.. Thank you.

• SKIER-X
  • [SKIER-X]
More
07 Apr 2018 12:58 - 07 Apr 2018 13:14 #231599 by SKIER-X
A.D.A. requires a minimum of 1 hand hold at every kick turn and steepness no greater than comfortable use of the heel elevators in the middle position .    I use the Obi Wan signature model cowl to keep me from being noticed in my Bat cowl . X.   ;)

More
09 Apr 2018 10:06 #231608 by filbo
I interviewed a bunch of 10th Mountain Division WWII skiers who used to come up to White Pass about 15 years ago and was fortunate to spend a little time in their company as they recounted the difficult combat involved in pushing the Germans out of Lake Garda. They also spoke at length about skiing and climbing and all the good things in life. Next time I am on the mountain I am going to drink a tall cold one to them.

More
17 Apr 2018 20:39 #231655 by Pete_H

I think all the 10th Mountain veterans I've talked to are gone now. Things would be very different today without them.

FA of Goldenhorn, Mox, Fury, Black Peak etc. And first ski descents of Snowgrass, Ruby, and big Chiwakum. Who Knew?