Home > Trip Reports > March 31, 2018, Ruth Mountain, long road walk

March 31, 2018, Ruth Mountain, long road walk

3/31/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by elgold92 on 4/3/18 4:40pm
We decided to make an attempt on Ruth Mountain near Mt Baker on Saturday. After turning off of WA-542, we found that there was a big mound of plowed snow/ice blocking FS-32 to the Hannegan campground. Although this would add 5 miles one-way to our plan, we decided to give it a shot anyway. The first 2 miles of road was a combination of skinning and carrying skiis, and any car would have been able to drive on this if that mound of snow was removed. At the Goat Mountain trailhead, the snow becomes a lot deeper and we left the skiis on for the remainder of the day.

As you might expect, we didn't make it to the summit of Ruth, but the north face of the mountain looked excellent.
Long walk indeed.  Ruth has its devotees but the day trip joyometer is a low ratio.  Absolutely stunning views of the Nooksack Cirque and the rest of the N and E faces of Shuksan, and standing on Ruth and seeing how you are standing on the headwater point of three major river systems in two countries is extra special.  Has anyone ever put in a camp and lapped those beautiful amphitheater lines down toward the Chilliwack?

author=peteyboy link=topic=40484.msg160950#msg160950 date=1522891237]
Long walk indeed. Ruth has its devotees but the day trip joyometer is a low ratio.

Having never done this trip, but have always wanted to, do you mean the joymeter ratio is ALWAYS low or only in this case or early season when the road is impassable?  Thx

As a day trip, it's always a long approach, with lots of valley floor and traversing, for what skiing you get in before you have to put in the deproach time to get back to your vehicle.  In the winter (which I've done a couple times), there's plenty of going over enormous avy runouts to factor in.  The way to do it is to time it right, whether in late winter or in spring/summer, to not get munched by wet slides and having to ski schmoo, to get the stable pow or the corn cycle by putting in a camp for 2-3 days.

author=peteyboy link=topic=40484.msg160950#msg160950 date=1522891237]
Has anyone ever put in a camp and lapped those beautiful amphitheater lines down toward the Chilliwack?

Thanks for the feedback.  I think you just made the case for making it an over-nighter, to explore that terrain NE of Ruth.

I've been thinking about if it's worth it to do the public service of shoveling out that snow wall.

Ruth is awesome! I've always wanted to ski that Chilliwack amphitheater.

I usually do Ruth as an evening approach day ski. Doing a 2 am start to 7 am finish with a post sunrise nap and skiing all the way to icy and back in August is one of my fondest memories: https://vimeo.com/48181242

author=Eckels link=topic=40484.msg160979#msg160979 date=1523162385]
I've been thinking about if it's worth it to do the public service of shoveling out that snow wall.

Most of the winter, drivers will encounter a steep, snowy section of impassible road less than a mile from the berm. That berm helps keep the wheels off a sometimes groomed skating surface. Please do not remove the berm to save 15 minutes of flat skinning.

I'm sure that in a few weeks (late April), the road will no longer be a PNW skating destination [/joke] and removing the berm may save you 5-10 minutes (once you're done shoveling ice hard packed plow plunder).

Reply to this TR

march-31-2018-ruth-mountain-long-road-walk
elgold92
2018-04-03 23:40:34