Home > Forum > Shopping for a new sports watch - what do you use?

Shopping for a new sports watch - what do you use?

• tornadoweather
  • [tornadoweather]
More
28 Mar 2018 17:05 - 28 Mar 2018 17:18 #231503 by tornadoweather
In the market for a new sports watch. Curious what everyone finds to provide the best option on the market these days for ski purposes. I generally prefer to not track anything and enjoy a boop/beep-free zone but have recently been wanting some of the functionality on tours and will be training for other outdoor pursuits so thinking it may be a good time to invest.

Biggest things I'm seeking are: altimeter, GPS, built-in HR monitor (not needing to connect a HR monitor chest strap), ski mode, overall durability, everyday functionality as a watch.

Current considerations in rank order are...

Garmin Fenix Line:
- Pros / Does everything I need it to do for outdoor-specific pursuits and more (altimeter, GPS, HR, ski mode, everyday functionality as a watch)
- Cons / Holy moly that is a lot of money, enormous (even the Fenix S is pretty big)

Apple Watch:
- Pros / Still expensive but way cheaper than the full-featured Garmins, get more every day use out of it (for life and not just athletics), not as gigantic on my wrist (both looks + function), provides basic ski functionality around altimeter and GPS (www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/02/apple-wat...owboarding-activity/)
- Cons / They generally seem a little annoying, they're watered-down in terms of functionality, dependent upon phone bluetooth connection for much of their performance

Suunto:
- Pros / Overall functionality
- Cons / Every Suunto I've ever had has had strap breaking issues, battery run out issues, etc. so I'm generally wary of them.

What are y'all using? What do you love/hate about them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flowing alpy
  • [flowing alpy]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
28 Mar 2018 18:39 #231505 by flowing alpy
A Tag HeUer aquaracer automatic
big dial waterproof simple design

• dave095790
  • [dave095790]
More
28 Mar 2018 20:23 #231507 by dave095790
I've been using an Ambit 2 since about 2013. It's been very, very good with one band issue that was fixed by Suunto.

I've currently misplaced it, or my house is a complete disaster and just can't see it. If I buy a new one, it would still be a Suunto, probably the Spartan Wrist version.

I tried the Fenix back in 2013 and liked the Suunto better, can't remember why.

• Charlie Hagedorn
  • [trumpetsailor]
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
More
29 Mar 2018 10:27 #231509 by Charlie Hagedorn
Replied by Charlie Hagedorn on topic Re: Shopping for a new sports watch - what do you use?
I bought a refurbished Fenix in May 2014 that worked out well, save battery life, which didn't make it through long days in the mountains. It ingested some water after a soak in Yellowstone's "Boiling River" in January 2018, and died a week-long death. It had many days of swimming prior to that; I think the sharp temperature changes (~30 K/s) were a challenging environment for any watch.

As a replacement, I picked up a refurbished Fenix 3HR, and it is better in every way. Battery life is sufficient for intensive navigation on day tours. As a smartwatch, it requires charging once every couple of weeks.

Strap-breakage is likely with perhaps any watch. It seems like a good watch that gets used hard will wear out a strap in ~2-3 years.

With any of these watches, the smartwatch notifications are awesome, once you cut them down to only the most-important people/contacts.

• Blizz Mountain
  • [Blizz Mountain]
More
29 Mar 2018 18:04 #231520 by Blizz Mountain
Replied by Blizz Mountain on topic Re: Shopping for a new sports watch - what do you use?
I haven't found the perfect watch either yet, but here's my experiences:

Suunto Core: Do NOT get the black face / white digits - impossible to see except in bright sunlight. Indoors and nights absolutely horrible. Accuracy and functions are good, but other watches are easier to navigate between different functions.

Microsoft Band / Band 2: I actually really like all the functions; however, gps locking in and syncing are horrible - absolutely horrible. Have to factory reset all the time, delete and reinstall the app - so essentially a FAIL until / if they ever get it right.

Casio: My son has two Casio watches (one's a G-Shock but don't know model, another is one of their higher end pricey ones, don't remember model) , last for years, decent functionality, great battery life, not as high altitude resolution as the Suunto, but decent.

More
01 Apr 2018 21:12 #231549 by lernr
Fenix 5 - I love it. Great battery life, smaller than the Fenix 3. I expect there should be some sales but yes, not cheap.

From the reviews when I was buying, the top Suuntos weren't any cheaper but had worse GPS and other functions. I actually wanted the Ti Suunto but really couldn't convince myself to buy it over the Fenix after my research. Things may have changed now with updates etc.

More
02 Apr 2018 15:33 #231560 by arb
Ambit peak 3 sapphire. I have used this thing for training 5+ days a week for 3 years, including multi-day backpack hunting/skimo/powder trips and have had no glitches, and it has held up well. Aside from training it is a really good tool for mountain navigation and maintaining pacing for big fast days. The ability to program custom sports modes is a huge pro for me, you can program custom modes to save battery life and storage space so you can log multi-day tracks without recharging, or program modes for specific objectives so you can estimate your pacing for a particular route.

The Sapphire is worth the extra $$ if you are going to do any type of climbing around rocks or use the watch on extensive backcountry adventures.

Overall its a huge investment, but if you are going to be getting really serious about training it is certainly worth it, and, having a mini GPS on my wrist logging my location has saved me from some uncomfortable nights when animals have led me far astray from my intended path...

Finally, I would strongly recommend using a chest strap if you are serious about aerobic training, the non-strap options are O.K. for casual use, but chest straps are still the gold standard for training tools.