Home > Trip Reports > March 10-11, 2018, Ptarmigan and Lasiocarpa Ridge

March 10-11, 2018, Ptarmigan and Lasiocarpa Ridge

3/10/18
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by radka on 3/27/18 1:34pm

After 15 years, it was time to retire the Mountain Hardware Thru Hiker tent. We purchased the MH Ghost UL2 but it wasn't quite what we were looking for (it's for sale btw!). I decided to get a new tent for Radka's birthday – Hilleberg Niak. After setting up at Pro Mountain Sports, I was pretty sure it was the correct purchase. This trip would be the test for that decision.

With good weather forecast, we headed to one of our favorite destinations, the Mt Baker backcountry. After descending from Artist Point to the south side of Table Mountain, the temperatures rose significantly. Gore-Tex with expedition weight thermals resulted in baking. We made a long traverse on the north side of Ptarmigan Ridge before putting skins back on and climbing to the Ptarmigan-Lasiocarpa Saddle. There was a stiff breeze at the saddle and we spent about a half hour trying to find a good spot out of it.

It took longer than normal to pitch the tent since we had to learn the new system and untie the guy-lines. We also stomped out a deeper than normal pit. Once everything was secured, the tent was bomber in the breeze! The new vestibule allows for us to both comfortably work inside it, mostly for meals. We have a bit more head room, sitting and sleeping. After dinner, Radka went out for the inaugural night photos. At some point during the night, the breeze eventually stopped and it was nice and calm.

Despite getting steamrolled hard (single door tent and I was next to it), we slept long and deep. It was 11 after taking camp down with also losing an hour to daylight savings. After a quick tour up Lasiocarpa Ridge, we packed up and headed out. The snow was pretty wind affected almost everywhere, so we didn't bother to do any laps. After a few hours, we were back at Artist Point and had an easy ski back to the car. A great first overnight in our new Chateau Chapin!

TR: Chris
Photos: Radka

Lasiocarpa Ridge on the right

Hello!

Great pictures as usual.... inspiring me to get out for a few days... thanks!!

Thank you!

So, apparently, we also took pictures of wolverine tracks. They were identified on NWHikers so adding photos here.

Wolverine tracks... excellent!!

...always enjoy your amazing photos!  One thing I learned doing a little BC skiing in Montana is if you follow animal tracks it will most likely be the most efficient route up the mountain (as long as they're traveling in the same general direction as you want to).  Unfortunately, we don't get to see much wildlife in a lot of our close-in PNW BC destinations.  Nice to see wolverine tracks! Go Blue! (you Michigan fans  / aluums will get it).

Spectacular pictures as always, Radka, and good to know the tracks ID; we had seen what in hindsight is the same track pattern out there a few years back.  Glad to see tracks and not the source of the tracks in my vestibule!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures, your Wolverin track are perfect. Now that's an animal not intimidated by a little open space! I have been lucky to see a half dozen sets through the years, but never the maker.

Thank you all for your kind comments.

I contacted NPS with photos and emailed with their wildlife biologist who confirmed that this is indeed wolverine. I was hesitant to leave the photos up for concerns that somebody may harm the animal, with the location of tracks made public, but I was told that is very unlikely as wolverines travel so much and this animal may be hundreds of miles away by now.

I have since read up a bit on wolverines and, wow, what an amazing animal!

author=radka link=topic=40438.msg160834#msg160834 date=1522422862]
...wow, what an amazing animal!

My favorite spirit animal, one that I've been lucky enough to actually see twice. Thanks for posting your fine images, Radka!

Interesting study of wolverine reactions to winter recreation in the Rockies:
http://wolverinefoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Wolverine-Winter-Recreation-Final-Report-15Dec17.pdf

Reply to this TR

march-10-11-2018-ptarmigan-and-lasiocarpa-ridge
radka
2018-03-27 20:34:14