Home > Trip Reports > Mar 25, 2018, Sherpa Glacier Couloir

Mar 25, 2018, Sherpa Glacier Couloir

3/25/18
Posted by dave095790 on 3/25/18 2:13pm
Hoping to find some solitude, Nick and I opted to head WAY back into the Stuart Zone.

We started at the leisurely hour of 5am, with a pair of folks heading up to give TC a go - I hope it went for you guys!

The name of the game today for us was SLOW (relatively speaking). We were about 10-15 minutes behind every hour, starting from the get go.

We made it to the base of Sherpa Glacier, having to break trail the entire way from the left turn to Colchuck, in about 4.5 hours.

From the base of the Glacier we were about 4 hrs to the top of the Col. We booted about 900 vertical. We brewed once, near the base of the Glacier.

A pit mid-way up the Glacier revealed a very right-side-up profile, getting progressively denser with an ECTX, we didn't expect to see anything scary and certainly didn't find anything scary. 

In the Couloir, we had variable powder with an occasional isolated wind buffed top 2-inch layer, nothing slid other than expected sluff.  The Couloir skied okay, the Glacier outside the Couloir skied FAST and IMO was way more fun than the Couloir. The combination made for a fantastic, albeit long, tour. 

About 3.5 hrs from the top of the Col to the car.

We were about 13 hrs C2C, so my times have one hour lost amongst them.

About 23 miles and 7200 vert.

I had 89mm skis and they seemed perfect, you could go a little smaller and still be okay.  Nick had 105s and didn't complain. 

Now there is a well marked track all the way to the Col, so no excuse not to go get it!

Pictures tomorrow.
well you had a busy weekend...thanks for sharing the stoke!

Only good pic from my phone

Sounds like you had a great weekend!! Nice photos :-)

Reply to this TR

mar-25-2018-sherpa-glacier-couloir
dave095790
2018-03-25 21:13:58