Crystal - 03/25 Happy Day

• ddk
  • [ddk]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Mar 2018 16:04 #219360 by ddk
Crystal - 03/25 Happy Day was created by ddk
Short Report - Yee Haa nothing like left overs fun!  Early big sun, in and out clouds and fuzz mid day, big sun when I left way to early. Light crowd on the lifts I did...REX, passing single line through FQex and HC (never a lift line?).  Great visuals from the sun and clouds and Rainier and The King and....Life!
Groomers early (LS and MIFB) were fast and smooth....Off Piste was really happy in lots of places....Great day for a Sunday!

Wordy Report - Arrived extra early just cause!...Fairly typical weekend pay lot.  CHex line up early was fairly small....screamer fast groomers early...and then Hamster Heaven kicked into overdrive....Doors, OuterFerks!!!, SunnySide, M-Forest all made the Coomba's happy and since I was just following on top I was also very happy.  Snow coverage is incredible almost everywhere. Snow quality is primo almost everywhere (just got to do some areas 180 degrees out of most folks...or ski the tops and back side of the bumps...).  Mostly no lift lines other than FQex which was doable since I was single most of the day.  PB to OF was great, Doors were good enough, SunnySide and M-Forest also happy enough, GV bowl was very happy conditions when the vis was great.  Did SnortElk bowl to Kelly Gap to Lower E (had a lot of fun on Lower E....and GV bowl) to finish my short day - Thanks to the BINX group  for that run and the follow up down GV/MIFB/LFB...a nice finish to the day).   Great fun, Great day, Great Visuals, Great Snow, just plain Great day in late March....

Other - Big Bonus was Chicken Noodle at CB lodge (spent at least another couple of hours savoring that soup!!! NOT! but it was good).  Pay lot was weekend big, and not full when I left...B/C/D/E all looked packed...no cars in the F lot today...Drive up early was a screamer and the drive down was also surprisingly fast and easy. 

So today was definitely a hyper happy ddk treadmill day(Thanks Scotsman!) Ready for a little more tomorrow with #1...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scotsman
  • [Scotsman]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
25 Mar 2018 17:07 #219361 by Scotsman
Replied by Scotsman on topic Re: Crystal - 03/25 Happy Day
Nice to see you today ddk and Im glad you had a BIG DAY!
After a couple of screaming groomers I hooked up with yesterday's buddy Steve for another day in the Park.
We left the gate and traversed over to a zone I haven't skied much.
Down, down, down we went , getting sucked deeper towards 410.
Up, up, up we climbed .
We did it three times on really beautiful snow in some amazing open terrain.
After a refreshing latte, we went back up and tried the zone out of the gate at the top of Morning GloryBowl ( E5 I think)
Steep rollovers with open gaps between the trees but not as good as the area in the morning.
I was keeping a very close eye on solar radiation and when the sun came out for a while I got a bit spooked as the trees started shedding and I headed for the tall timber for the skin track out.

Sun went away and after some very steep trail breaking with vegetable belays we got back to the gate.

My friend Steve had never skied Deep North so we finished the day with a S-Turn in the DEEP.
Superb conditions for his first time and what a joy it is to show a friend a new area.

We hitchhiked back to the resort and thus ended a superb day.
Adding on the skin-track miles as the spring touring season approaches.
Thanks Steve for a great day in the Park.

• CMSkier
  • [CMSkier]
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
25 Mar 2018 18:41 #219362 by CMSkier
Replied by CMSkier on topic Re: Crystal - 03/25 Happy Day
No time for groomers since the sun started to fade as the fog rose when the lift started loading. So, quickly took to Sunnyside for some laps in the sun. Best it's been in awhile - finally enough skier grooming to smooth out most of the crud. Valley Bowl showed that facing north was the way to go, so when Northway opened early, we jumped in and stayed for the morning. Paradise Trees and Bruce's Bowl were great. Mid-run bumps big and soft. As the lower portion wasn't over groomed, it remains fast, small bumps. Lower Chairline has massive bumps of hard ice. The party ended as thick fog made seeing impossible. Exiting via a T2B was OK till Lower E, where earlier rain made the bumps nice and smooth, but iciest of the year. Bear Pits is scoured to horrible areas of ice - no repeat. Wanted to do Powder Bowl, but they kept turning the fog on and off. Doors OK, icy in the middle. Most of the sunny aspects are just waiting for a sunny, warm day.

Ken
+